• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Printer having problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tipycol

We have the Epson Stylus 740, and lately it's been having a couple of problems. The one that appeared first, was that it would not print the color red. So anything that was red, or needed red came out in a totally different color most of the time. We tried using the printer's self cleaning routine and replaced the color cartridge, still the problem remained. And just recently, the ink doesn't seem to be getting to the paper. I tried adjusting the height, but it doesn't do anything. Almost nothing can be read from the paper that's printed, though a little ink gets on it. Anyone know what's wrong with the printer? Should we just look into getting a new one?

Thanks

Tipycol

Omega Destroyer

You could try cleaning the connectors that connect the cartridge to the printer. I'm not sure if this will work, or what an epson printer connector really looks like, but they're pretty easily accesible on my Lexmark. Just take a cotton ball, and some isopropyl alcohol and give them a good rub.
Also, while it's printing, see if you can open the cover and see what's it's doing. You might be able to see some sort of obstruction or something.

Robbie

Take the cartidge out and use some rubbing alcohol on the print heads. Also do what Omega recomended.

I fix these for a living.
Rob

Last edited:
OP
T

Tipycol

Omega Destroyer said:
You could try cleaning the connectors that connect the cartridge to the printer. I'm not sure if this will work, or what an epson printer connector really looks like, but they're pretty easily accesible on my Lexmark. Just take a cotton ball, and some isopropyl alcohol and give them a good rub.
Also, while it's printing, see if you can open the cover and see what's it's doing. You might be able to see some sort of obstruction or something.

I'm not sure what connectors you're talking about :(
And can ink solidify? Becuase the ink in the black cartridge seems to be very hard, although when I tried to print earlier some black ink got to the paper.

Last edited:

angeltazman

Registered
hi Guys!....

whats the nice solution to use clean printer heads?...... i have a epson C20UX and had my print head test for cloges and the color blue and pink ink on the paper appears to have a white line, so this means that my printer's head is cloged, right?...... now i've tried cleaning it so many times using the printer's software and now that i'm already out of ink, theres still white lines with color blue and pink......

isn't it bad to use cotton bud and alcohol to clean the head of the printer, for me its like pushing the dirt inside and making it stock in the hole more?.........

is there other way of cleaning the printer heads?......

JimmyG

You are experiencing the downside of Epson printers. The print head is not part of the ink cartridge. It is permanent. If the cleaning program cannot unclog the print head the only solution is to have the head replace for big $ or buy a new printer.

Epson built it this way so that you could save money on ink. Other printers like HP have the print head attached to the ink cartridge so that it is replaced every time you replace the ink cartridge. This kind of printer has more expensive ink cartridges for obvious reasons.

angeltazman

Registered
do u happen to know how the printer's head work, like how the inks comes out the printer's head?...... coz i'm thinking of putting a hose to the nozel where the ink carttrige is place and apply air presure to push the dirt or clog particle out of the printer's head.......

what do u think, would this be a good idea, or what will i do is, instead of air pressure to push the dirt out, why don't i fill the hose will isoprophyl alcohol to push the dirt out...... what do u think?........ is isoprophyl alcohol okay for cleaning heads?......

by the way, is it true that if i just replace an old carttrige with a new one and then decided to take it out and use it with the different printer, like what i have said, my printer's head is clog, so i'm thinking of barrowing my brother's printer which is exactly like mine and the thing is, it does not have any ink anymore, and i'm thinking of putting the new ink carttrige there coz from what i remember in the manual once u replace an old ink with a new one u cant take it out anymore unless the ink is empty and needs to be replace........

i'm really, really, really in a tight budget.... :(

JimmyG said:
You are experiencing the downside of Epson printers. The print head is not part of the ink cartridge. It is permanent. If the cleaning program cannot unclog the print head the only solution is to have the head replace for big $ or buy a new printer.

Epson built it this way so that you could save money on ink. Other printers like HP have the print head attached to the ink cartridge so that it is replaced every time you replace the ink cartridge. This kind of printer has more expensive ink cartridges for obvious reasons.
:(

Last edited:

JimmyG

You can try to clean the head with isopropyl alcohol, but I don't recommend using a high pressure hose.