• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Printer woes...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samurai7

Registered
So ya, my GF went and bought me a cheap $25 HP Deskjet F4230 all-in-one printer from Wal-mart while I was at work this morning during the Black Friday sale, and I got got it home and set it up, decided to print a picture to test it... and nothing! it wont print anything except for an alignment pasge when i tell it to, I can even get it to print a test page, and the weird thing is is that nothing is qued in the printer que at all! I'll hit ctrl+P and I'll get a breif flash of the printing please wait window then it dissapears and the printer sits there and does nothing. I even tried to run the HP diagnostic tool and is says everything is connected fine. I've worked through every solution the HP solution center throws at me to no avail, please help..:comp:

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Which OS are you running, and did the OS install the drivers for you, or did you install them manually? And is the printer connected via parallel port or USB port?

OP
samurai7

samurai7

Registered
Which OS are you running, and did the OS install the drivers for you, or did you install them manually? And is the printer connected via parallel port or USB port?

running Vista 32-bit and i installed the drivers manually from the provided disc, and it is connected via USB

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Just a thought, when did you connect the printer cable? Some printer tends to throw a fit if you connect them to the computer before you install the software. Many manual states not to connect the printer until after the installation is done.

OP
samurai7

samurai7

Registered
Just a thought, when did you connect the printer cable? Some printer tends to throw a fit if you connect them to the computer before you install the software. Many manual states not to connect the printer until after the installation is done.

i plugged it in while installing the software when the install instructed me to:salute:

JCLW

Maybe look online for a newer driver (or software package) on hp.com?

It's been so long since I've played with a USB printer - does Vista have to load a USB printing service type thing or is that automatic?

OP
samurai7

samurai7

Registered
Maybe look online for a newer driver (or software package) on hp.com?

It's been so long since I've played with a USB printer - does Vista have to load a USB printing service type thing or is that automatic?

i downloaded them last night and installed it, still nothing. IDK about the whole Vista having to load a USB printing service thing:shrug:

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Well, it IS a cheap printer.

Disconnect the printer, uninstall all HP software and wipe the disk clean of anything HP. Download the newest version of package from HP.com and follow instruction. Also try a different USB cable just in case.

If the printer still flakes out, take it back for an exchange. It could be the printer is "deaf-mute" and can't communicate with the computer.