• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

probably a really stupid question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dillinja666

on cpu coolers, do you have the fan push the air into the heat sink or pull it through it. im useing the xigmatek dark knight cooler. sorry for the stupid question lol

Bobnova

Pumps (including fans) are always better at pushing then pulling.
Hence, it should push, unless there is a good reason otherwise.

Not a dumb question at all, IMO.

OP
dillinja666

dillinja666

ok, thanks! thats the way i had it..but then i started thinking about it, confused myself and then got into an arguement in my head...

Bobnova

You can always try it the other way and see what the temps are like, you won't hurt anything.

the_cultie

Push is generally better but as Bobnova try a pull setup and see what happens. You could always get a second fan and have a push/pull configuration. Is some cases this can work better than either Push or Pull.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
Push is generally better but as Bobnova try a pull setup and see what happens. You could always get a second fan and have a push/pull configuration. Is some cases this can work better than either Push or Pull.

On a CPU cooler, in most cases, the push/pull setup will help get the best performance out of most tower style coolers. The coolers that I know of for sure that have shown a large benefit from push/pull are the TRU120, TRUE, and the Megahalems.

Also, the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. Even if you think it might be stupid, feel free to post up and ask. You will find that we are a friendly bunch, and are more willing to answer your questions than you may think.