• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

probably know the answer but im going to ask

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
okay at work

i was handed a laptop hdd

it is dead it wont spin up
and of corse its got some sort of important info on it
now heres the question

IF i got another hdd same make / moddel

do you think i would have a snowballs chance in hell transplanting the platers

now i know what went threw everyones mind
and i know about dust and finger prints and yack yack yack

but do you think it would actually work if i managed to avoid all of that

also do dust only lead to a bad sector orrrrrrrrr to the whole thing going bad

okay i asked feel free to call me a idot

FrozenFears

Well I don't know either so you shouldn't feel like an idiot, ;) then again maybe we are the only 2 that don't know lol....

It sounds possible to me, assuming that you avoided the dust fingerprints etc like you mentioned, I mean they all were assembled from parts and if carefully taken apart and put back together why wouldn't it work? Sorry that I couldn't be of more help, hopefully someone else actually knows for sure.

eh?

your an idiot for not spelling idiot right :D no im only kidding:), sorry you left yourself wide open.

I wouldn't think you would stand a chance. Your best bet would prbly be to buy an laptop to ide adapter and plug it into your desktop...thats the best i can think of.

*edit* he posted right before me. I dunno if you have ever taken a hd apart before, but even in a desktop harddrive stuff in there is small and hard to get to. I can't fatham a laptop hd. But i guess if you were un-godly careful it could be done....But then again maybe those little arms in there are calibrated, and once you take them off thats it.

OP
Crash893

Crash893

well im assumeing ( i know what happens when you assume)

that the arms on the laptop hdd will pull away from the platers to avoid shock damage

there for makeing it easyer to take the covers of and switch the two

however
i do not knwo

i have a old old lapt hdd thats gathering dust and that will be my gunie pig

also a ide adapter isnt going to work since its the hdd its self that is broken

fiji

well first i would get 2 or more of the hdd's and practice on this first one and see if you can do it

then youll know if you can do it

OP
Crash893

Crash893

no

I'm only afforded one extra hdd from the company to do this

not going to happen

how much does a data recovery service cost for something like this

i suspect its relatively easy for them to do a recover from this since its not really the plater thats bad

OP
Crash893

Crash893

500-2500

just a litte leeway in that

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Bang the top of it hard, once. Sounds crazy but it's really the only thing you can do outside of hoping it suddenly starts working. I wouldn't recommend transplanting platters yourself.

Or you could try the freezer trick.

KILLorBE

Are you sure it's the motor and not the PCB?, I would try replacing that first....BUT it has to be the EXACT same HDD, even if they look similar they still could be different, I have a dead 60GXP (August '01) made in Thailand (assembly made in China) and I tried to replace the PCB, but it didn't work as the other 60GXP (November '01) was made in Hungary (Assembly made in Italy), both PCB's are the same except some chips.
Crash893 said:
well im assumeing ( i know what happens when you assume)

that the arms on the laptop hdd will pull away from the platers to avoid shock damage

Actually the arm moves to the centre of the platters, and it's VERY hard to take the arm out without damageing the heads.

I don't have any pics right now so I'll try to explain how to take it apart, putting it back together is even harder.

When the drive is in park the arm is held in place by a small magnet (Like WD HDD's) or a locking mechanism (Like Quantum HDD's), under and on top of the arm there is magnetic metal plate (Part of the motor that moves the arm) on the arm itself is a coil (other part of the motor), to move the arm off the platters you'll need to remove the top magnetic plate....that's when the problems start, the magnetic plate's are so strong that it's very hard to take off the top plate w/o moving the arm, but if you manage to take it off w/o doing damage there's another problem, you have to be VERY carefull when you move the arm to the edge of the platters as you don't want the heads to jump back due to the flatcable.
Once the heads are off the platters you'll need to find a way to secure the arm.
Then you'll need to find a way to take the platters out (You might slip when you try to get the screws out), when you've done that there's a bit room so you can put something between the heads (Not the actual heads but just behind the heads, so there's some room between the heads) put the platters back in, move the arm GENTLY over the platters and pull whatever you've put between the heads out, and move it to the centre of the platters (The Quantum HDD lets you move it all the way to the center, so maybe it's better if you leave it halfway), take GREAT care when you put the magnetic plate back!!! as that is the hardest part w/o slipping!! I've got strong fingers and nails, but I can't take the plate off or put it back gently.
The rest is a piece of cake.

If the data is really important I suggest you have some professionals take a look at it, as it's VERY easy to screw up.

Don't blame me if you screw up;)

Good luck.

OP
Crash893

Crash893

holy crap kill or be i lost every thing

im coming over to your house now with a pitch fork

( just kidding)

Ive desided that its not that important or worth my time to save this persons data

sooooo what i am going to do is

try to make it spin up

does anyone know what pins on the back are 5v and or 12 v

i got some little alligator clips and ill try to get it to spin up

if that works mabey i can jerry rig something long enogh to get the data off there

( im assumeing its a miniature ide drive and uses all the same voltages)

OP
Crash893

Crash893

thanks for the info anyway killorbe

OP
Crash893

Crash893

good call

anybody know wehre i can get this and just this ( they have a 20 dollar min order)

OP
Crash893

Crash893

i wont tocuh ebay with a 9000 foot pole

to shiesty for me

can anyone find them on raido shack online or soemthing

SinsFeelNatural

Order Details: Product Total $ 9.99
Sales Tax (FL, NC, IL residents only) $ 0.00
Shipping & Handling $ 9.86
Order Total $ 19.85

Weight: 0.5lbs

Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!! tigerdirect.com will ship them indevidually but look how much the shipping is.. jesus you might be stuck unless there is a Fry's in the area, but then again you may use twenty in gas returning it the mandatory 2 times.

OP
Crash893

Crash893

no frys around here i guess its a west side thing

i alreayd hit up best buy and compusa and raido shack ( but the shacks ( shaq's)) around here suck big fat hair ones

so im trying to get the part number and have them ship it to the store where i buy it - shiping