• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem booting up computer...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nobitacu

Registered
ok... here's the problem...

I just got my round IDE cords, and put all that in, but then for some odd reason, after everything is put in, the computer won't turn on. The fan will try to spin, but will stop like 2 sec later. Later on, I figured it out and there's power to my Mobo and fans again, but... the screen didn't come on. Does anyone know what might be costing this problem? I don't think it's the cpu, at least I hope not. I've checked the CPU and it's not cracked or anything, I don't over clock and my cpu temp don't pass 120F, I'm using AX-7 heatsink, so there's no way my cpu could overheat and die. So now I have no clue on what's going on... and why my computer won't boot the screen...

Anyone know?

David

Forums Super Moderator
Looks like something is shorting out, or the PC is shutting itself down. Double check all connections and make sure no bare wires are touching the case.
Make sure the CPU fan is plugged in correctly to the first fan header on the mobo.

OP
nobitacu

nobitacu

Registered
Well, I've checked and rechecked... everything turns on, but just that nothing comes on the screen... I have no clue what's wrong with this thing....

I just bought this CPU not that long ago, xp1800+ and I'm sure I put it on and everything right. it worked before, everything just stoped working after I switched the IDE cords to the Rounded Cords, my old ones were flat. How can a CPU just die without any reason? man, if it does, I'm sure to never buy AMD again.

David

Forums Super Moderator
nobitacu said:
Well, I've checked and rechecked... everything turns on, but just that nothing comes on the screen... I have no clue what's wrong with this thing....

I just bought this CPU not that long ago, xp1800+ and I'm sure I put it on and everything right. it worked before, everything just stoped working after I switched the IDE cords to the Rounded Cords, my old ones were flat. How can a CPU just die without any reason? man, if it does, I'm sure to never buy AMD again.

Try your old flat cables again. See if the rounded ones are the problem.

OP
nobitacu

nobitacu

Registered
tried... still no go... nothing on screen.

I'm getting so mad!!!!!

OP
nobitacu

nobitacu

Registered
you think maybe it's my mobo? but it looks like it's fine... the red light on the board is on... there's power... hmmm...

My mobo is kind of new too, got it at the end of last summer.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Do the fans come on?

If so, it looks like a faulty board. Make sure the CPU and RAM are in correctly and try various RAM slots.

OP
nobitacu

nobitacu

Registered
yea, the fan and everything comes on. Just nothing on screen. Both the CPU and ram is in right also.