• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem booting Win 10 when setting CPU voltage manually on my Asus M5A99FX PRO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumpymcbumpin

Registered
So, I got an FX-8320 a few days ago to replace my FX-6300. The FX-6300 was clocked at 4.4GHz and was stable there, though occasionally I'd get a hang when booting into Windows. A reset or power cycle would usually solve that one; don't think I ever got it twice in a row.

But, with the 8320, I get that hang every single time when I try to manually set the CPU voltage. Doesn't matter what I set it to.. I tried setting it to what appears to be the current stock voltage, around 1.368 I think. No clock changes or anything. All I have to do is change the voltage setting to manual.

I should mention that with the 6300 i was running manually modified CPU voltage.

I *can* boot into Windows fine if I change the multiplier but leave the CPU voltage at default settings (offset, auto). Currently running 4.2Ghz on stock voltage but want to try for more since my temps are pretty good (mid 40s after half an hour or so of prime95).

I'm on the latest 2501 BIOS.

Anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
What PSU?
Matter of fact, knowing all of your system specs would help.

FX-8320
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Bios 2501
Sapphire R9390X Nitro
Patriot 24GB DDR3-1600 (2x 8GB, 2x 4GB)
PSU Thermaltake Black Widow 850 Watt
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with Noctua fans in push/pull
120MM front intake.
120MM side intake.
120MM rear exhaust
200MM top exhaust
Cooler Master HAF 912 Case
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
WD Black 2TB
WD Green 1TB
All drives are encrypted with Bitlocker, and decrypted using an ASUS TPM.

I think that's the basics.

FWIW, correcting the original post, i'm at 4.2GHz stable on stock voltage, not 4.3 as originally stated.

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
I had trouble with a Windows install. I service drives to IDE mode versus AHCI is bios.

Did the install, booted into Windows, updated to latest motherboard drivers.

Reboot into Windows

Reboot...set back to AHCI in bios

Let boot into Windows...rebooted a couple of times and everything was golden.

Perhaps it bears mentioning that I'm booting windows with UEFI. The hang always happens at the same spot, and in the same way. It's at a point where, during a successful boot, the keyboard and mouse backlights will go out and then come back on. In a failed boot, they go out, the loading animation stops, and my HDD LED is fully lit. I have to power cycle or reset to recover.

Also, edited my system specs post to reflect that I'm using Bitlocker and an ASUS TPM.

Yeah, bummer indeed. I'm fine with 4.2GHz for the time being. I bought the 8320 as a stopgap before Zen since I run a lot of virtual machines when I work from home. Gaming is secondary (at least as a reason for the CPU upgrade) and even with stock 8320 clocks, my framerates in games like FO4 and TW3 at 1440p haven't been compromised. Just would like to figure this out.

Lack of stable power.
That PSU is a crappy TR2 RX painted black. Cheap HEC based platform. Your 850w unit is basically a cheap 500w unit with a fairly high failure rate.
I bet if you replace that, all your troubles will magically disappear.

I can try that. FWIW, It's a relic from a mining rig that ran 3 7950s just fine, pulling 1000+ watts at the wall, though I understand that that the power supplied to the graphics cards might be fine where the CPU power is not.

Any good recommendations for a replacement?

I'm thinking it's a vcore issue.
I just traded a thuban for a 6300 (stupid, I know).
and as I am working my clocks up, it is most unlike win7, I get about the same thing, try adding vcore first, winten is so wonderful.
also when stress testing with p95 it doesn't just drop a worker when I drop the vcore one notch low it just bsods.

I can try that. FWIW, It's a relic from a mining rig that ran 3 7950s just fine, pulling 1000+ watts at the wall, though I understand that that the power supplied to the graphics cards might be fine where the CPU power is not.
I'm sorry but I don't believe that at all.

From review:

Posted By Gabriel Torres on Jan 14, 2010 in Power
Views: 157.444
Load Tests

We Several tests Conducted With This power supply, as described in the article Hardware Secrets Power Supply Test Methodology .
First we tested esta power supply With five different load patterns, trying to pull around 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100% of Its labeled maximum capacity (actual percentage used listed under "% Max Load"), watching how the reviewed unit behaved under each load. In the table below we list the load patterns we used and the results for each load.
If you add all the power listed for each test, you May find a different value than what is posted under "Total" below. Since each output can vary slightly (eg, the +5 V output working at +5.10 V), the current total amount of power being delivered is slightly different than the Calculated value. On the "Total" row we are using the actual amount of power being delivered, as Measured by our load tester.
The + 12VA and + 12VB inputs listed below are the two +12 V independent inputs from our load tester. During test esta Were Both inputs connected to the power supply single rail (+ 12VB input was connected to the power supply EPS12V connector and all other wires connected to the load Were tester + 12VA input).
Note: We are now using the names + 12VA and + 12VB for the two inputs from our load tester Because some People were thinking That the "+ 12V1" and "+ 12V2" names present on our table Referred to the power supply rails, Which is not the case.

untitled.JPG

Last edited:
It's absolutely true. This is the one I have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153106

It got very hot at those loads, but was always stable in that rig. I may even have video showing it running; it's been 3 years though.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking it's a vcore issue.
I just traded a thuban for a 6300 (stupid, I know).
and as I am working my clocks up, it is most unlike win7, I get about the same thing, try adding vcore first, winten is so wonderful.
also when stress testing with p95 it doesn't just drop a worker when I drop the vcore one notch low it just bsods.

My problem is that I can't change the vcore at all. Not even lowering it will allow me to boot at any clock i've tried. My rig is stable 4.2Ghz as long as I don't modify vcore. If I do, it won't boot. Period.

Bad power does funny things.
That 8 core draws more than your old 6 core, thus it makes things worse.

My posted data is from a trusted PSU reviewer. The numbers don't lie. I see fail at roughly 500w.

It is a single rail. Read above the charts.

Won't matter anyway. All the TR2 RX platforms are the same.

I got no reason to lie to you bro.

Bad power does funny things.
That 8 core draws more than your old 6 core, thus it makes things worse.

My posted data is from a trusted PSU reviewer. The numbers don't lie. I see fail at roughly 500w.

As I said in a previous post, I don't think it's the same PSU as in the review. However I agree that bad power does funny things and I have seen it before. So, my next step will be to replace the PSU. Would a good 850 serve me well and handle a second graphics card were I to choose to go that route in the future? I'm thinking a Seasonic or something along those lines.

- - - Updated - - -

I see now. We're cross posting. So... new PSU.

- - - Updated - - -

Won't matter anyway. All the TR2 RX platforms are the same.

I got no reason to lie to you bro.

I got no reason to lie either. And I swear to you that the PSU ran those 7950s mining with no instabilities. Perhaps I got lucky.

Anyway, it was cheap when I bought it and it probably hasn't improved in three years. I accept that.

Last edited:
Back