• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem connecting to internet through router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nerd4life

Havin a problem with my brother's router. He says it hasn't been working right ever since his power went out about two weeks ago. Almost assuming the worst but I'd like to see if I can get it to work first.

The computer connects fine to the internet when connected directly to the cable modem. But, the Linksys setup program says otherwise. (Using Linksys BEFW11S4 btw.) I have all my internet settings set to default on the computer. Optain IP address automatically and what not.

Connecting the computer to the router I can access the router's Web Setup tool and enter all the internet settings needed for a static IP address, but still nothing. I figured doing this would work temporarily but it didn't.

Sorry if this doesn't make much since. I won't have time to call tech support for him until after Wednesday whenever I get off work.

Thanx

Maximouse

Are you using cable or Dsl?

Could be a power spike wiped out the MAC address setting (usually an option needed when using a cable connection)

Look for an option in the router setup to "Clone MAC address" and see if that helps.

Al