• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with dual channel memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dragon173

Hello, I am getting quite frustrated trying to overclock my CPU again. I have 1 stick of OCZ 512 MB EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum Revision 2 RAM which I can overclock to (2.5-3-3-10 @ 2.85v) 260 x 10 = 2600 Mhz at (1.45v + 1.05%) = 1.525 voltage and also stable at this setting. I then bought the OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 2x512 Platinum Revision 2 Dual Channel Kit (OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K) , and my problems starts here. Before I continue, here is my system specs

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (Socket 939) (1.5 BIOS)
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester
Saphire 9600 XT
Samsung 160 GB HD
Seagate 200 GB HD
Hitachi 250 GB (on SATA 3 since it's locked)
OCZ 520w Powerstream
Lite-on DVD +/- RW

I install the new RAM in DC mode (which is dimm 1 and 2 on this motherboard) and I run memtest86 v3.2 to find the max mhz which turns out to be 280mhz at 2.5-4-3-10. Anyways, I know for sure my CPU can do 2600 Mhz, so I set it my htt to 260 mhz (2600 mhz CPU). I turn on my computer, it boots into Windows XP with no problems, and I run SuperPi 32M, and it passes. I run Prime95, and no errors for over 12 hours. I ran Windows memtest, and I get an error within 5 minutes, which is really strange since I didn't get one in dos memtest. I use clockgen and set it to 240 x 10 = 2400 Mhz, and it still get errors. I set it to 230 x 10 = 2300 Mhz, and I get no errors for over 4 hours of testing. I tested each RAM individually in dos memtest86 and each RAM can do 280+ mhz in single channel but that's not the issue here. I tested my Dual Channel ram at 280 mhz at 2.85v and it passed without any errors in dos memtest for over 8 hours, but when I run Windows memtest, I get errors almost instantly. I decide to pop my old 1 stick of 512 MB Platinum Rev. 2 RAM into my computer, and everything runs fine again on my original setting (260 x 10). Howcome I can pass DOS memtest at 280 mhz for over 8 hours, but once I boot into Windows, I get BSOD within 10 minutes? Is there a problem with the dual channel memory controller on my CPU (since it won't go above 230 mhz) without getting BSOD? Thanks for your help.

ColdKiss

Registered
Hi, You seem to be encountering a similar problem to myself in running dual channel RAM on an MSI K8N Neo2 with a 3200+, except that I have a Venice chip where yours is a Winchester. My hard drive configuration is similar to yours as well with 2xIDE drives and a SATA drive on SATA 3.

After trying lots of different tests, I am suspecting the memory controller on the A64 too and am on the verge of RMA'ing it but I guess I'll try and think of a few more tweaks to try out just in case it really is some elusive motherboard settings. What is the Windows memtest program you used that caused your PC to reveal errors that DOS memtest didn't? I would really like to try it out on my comp.

Check out this thread inthe MSI section:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=402496

Perhaps you cann try out some of the settings and tests to see if our dual channel problems match? I hope we can find some solution to this as I bet AMD will just send back the CPU after an RMA saying it has no detectable fault!

Let me know how you get on. Good Luck.

Osirus

Your timings might be too tight. One thing to look at is too much volts can hurt your ram.. as were im running TCCD ram at 2.7vdimm, if i run it at 2.85vdimm I start to get errors in windows and prime and memtest. Also what is your HT set at? 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x? Another thing is do you have SATA 1/2 disabled in the BIOS? Is your AGP freqency locked at 67?