• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with FastTrak 20276

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kohi

I've replaced my a7v266-e with an a7v333. Both boards have raid (Promise FastTrak), but not the same version. Since I only replaced the mobo, all other hw is the same, including the hd's.

When entering raid bios it displays the arrays defined on my "old" system, but for some reason I can't delete them to make new arrays. (Intend to have a different setup this time)

All other commands work fine, so I don't think the raid bios is the problem. Anyway nothing happens when I press del, as if the key is dead.

Anybody familiar with this problem? Any tips?

Thnx

OP
K

Kohi

Update

Seems like the FastTrak133 isn't fully compatible with FastTrak100. It reads the info FT100 has left on the disks, but can't edit it.
I've contacted Promise and ASUS, but they haven't replied yet. However I found two possible solutions to the problem:

1. Low level format disks
A normal format will not delete the info left by the FT100, but a low format does the job. (Erases the bootsector)
I tested it, and it works. The downside to this is of course total loss of data on the disk.

2. Del arrays with an FT100 controller before connecting to an FT133.
I used this method with my other disk, since I didn't have any backup of them. When reconnecting to FT133 no array was defined. Created the array as iI wanted, and every thing works fine.

Both solutions take quite a bit of time and / or effort (unless you have a FT100 controller at hand) I hope Promis or ASUS offers an easier solution.

Xaotic

Very kind Senior
Another possibility is to blow away the partitions while connected to an non RAID controller and try fdisk /mbr or maybe a Zap executable to completely kill the first 200 sectors of the drive. LLF may be necessary though since the landing zones may be modified by the RAID setup. Anyway you look at it a backup is necessary. I feel your pain, someone decided to unplug the KVM one day. Crashed the server and lost the W2K disk signature on a 300gig hardware RAID 5 expansion. It was very hard to tell it to write a signature, format and restore that data over a slow connection.

If you want to try Zap, I can track down a copy tomorrow.