• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem With OC After Adding New Ram, Need Advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CyberTroop

Hello fellow OCers, I have encountered a new problem regarding my OC issues recently after i added in an extra 2GB worth of Corsair Ram. Bare with me please, im still in the learning process. This is how my stories goes.

Before i added in my RAM, my OC settings were stable and fine. The hardware i am using is as follow:

RAM: First 2GB is 800mhz Corsair Twin2x 6400 XMS2
The latest 2GB of ram i added is 800mhz Corsair Twin2x 6400 XMS2 CL4
CPU: Core 2 Duo e6400
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

My original settings before i added the new rams are as follow:

CPU Clock Ratio at 8x
CPU Host Frequench (FSB) at 400
PCI Express Frequency at 100MHz
System Memory Multiplier at 2.00
DRAM Timing at 5-5-5-15
DDR2 OverVoltage Control at Normal
FSB OverVoltage at Normal
(G)MCH Voltage at Normal
CPU Voltage at 1.22500V

Before adding the new 2GB Corsair rams, this settings for the Bios is stable and fine. Unfortunately after i added the new 2GB worth of ram, i get BSOD after a few minutes in Windows. I think this is probably caused by undervoltage. Oh ya, forgot to mention the 800mhz Corsair Twin2x 6400 XMS2 CL4 has this PPE function thing.

Hope some people can help me with my problem, thanks.

Thank you for the replies, I did what 18is#1 asked me to do. I increased both (G)MCH and DDR2 Voltage with an addition 0.2V, unfortunately it did not make any difference. The blend test I used on Prime95 still failed.

So instead, i tried lowering my FSB on the CPU to 380. Surprisingly without increasing any voltages, my prime95 was stable again. Any idea what does this mean?

Thank you for the replies, I did what 18is#1 asked me to do. I increased both (G)MCH and DDR2 Voltage with an addition 0.2V, unfortunately it did not make any difference. The blend test I used on Prime95 still failed.

So instead, i tried lowering my FSB on the CPU to 380. Surprisingly without increasing any voltages, my prime95 was stable again. Any idea what does this mean?

It's harder to stabilize 4 memory sticks than 2. Simply you have to check secondary timings or rise voltage on mem ( but you tried it already ). I have almost the same problem with my memory now ( 4x 1GB ).
Hard to say on what chips you have Corsair sticks because they are changing it but try to set some slower timings and check if it helps ( main timings keep on spd settings like 5-5-5-18). Or just try use memset and try to find optimal settings under windows.

It means you have a mediocre OCing E8400 like me. The RAM is not your issue.

Hmmm, i was thinking of increasing northbridge voltage to +0.3V, which makes it 1.75V. Now the problem is, +0.3V is the maximum number of voltage i can add, which makes me feel kinda nervous. Any idea what is the ideal amount of voltage that is deemed safe and stable?

Back