• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem with P5k Deluxe...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Diddy

Having an weird issue guys. PC has been running fine for two years at the settings in my sig. Last month, I went to turn on the PC and and got nothing. Power cycled and then got a failed OC.

Reset the BIOS settings and was on my way fine for another 2 weeks. Happened again one more time, only this time, it would not come on at all. I went in and pulled a stick of RAM and the PC boots up fine. Updated the BIOS, reset the OC, and upped the RAM voltage to 2.2. I ran Memtest for a few hours and didn't get an error. PC ran fine this way for 2 more weeks.

Last night, same thing, no boot. Pulled one stick again and the PC turned right on. Is there something up with the RAM or is my mobo on the fritz? RAM seems fine according to MemTest and runs fine with 3 sticks, just not with 4 any more. Thanks for any help!

freeagent

My P5K Deluxe is very hard on ram.

Ive burned thru many sets..

My rampage is very easy going with ram, its the total opposite of my p5k heh.

OP
M Diddy

M Diddy

Well, apparently, this is a known problem with P35 boards from Asus. I quick Google search of "P5K Cold Boot" came back with quite a few threads on various internet forums about people having this same issue. It seems to be tied in the the RAM some how.

Here's just one of the threads....

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...del=P5K+Deluxe/WiFi-AP&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Don't know why mine worked flawlessly for over a year and suddenly decided to do this, but I guess it's something I have to live with.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
I have some cold boot issues as well, and I burned through a couple of sets of D9's before getting different memory.

Upping the northbridge voltage to 1.4v solved the cold boot issue. It doesn't seem to need that voltage for anything else, but it completely fixed my weird startup/restart problems.

nightelph

Well the NB communicates directly with the ram, so if your NB was being flaky, the problem manifesting itself with the RAM isn't extra-ordinary. That said I've been through a couple P5Ks, not the most reliable boards. :)

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Well the NB communicates directly with the ram, so if your NB was being flaky, the problem manifesting itself with the RAM isn't extra-ordinary. That said I've been through a couple P5Ks, not the most reliable boards. :)
Mine's been running OC'd 24/7 for about 2.5 years. :comp: