• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problemo??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rick106

Registered
I have just built a new comp. But when i start it I got one long bep and then 2 short beeps, does anyone know what this means. Then a little laterthe comp wouldnt stat at all. This is really stressful, please can someone help me out,

Rixh

pestul

Registered
Well, either something isn't connected properly... or it's overclocked too far. I guess it could be the power supply too.

DennisC

Registered
Your motherboard manual should have a list of it's "beep codes". Look up what problem your particular pattern represents.

While this may narrow the problem down a little bit, the best thing to do (if you already haven't) is to strip your new system down to it's bare essentials: motherboard, processor (with HSF!), ram, HD, floppy and video card. Make sure all devices and cables are well seated. See if will boot then. Then add components one at a time. Very often you can build up the entire system this way without any of the conflicts that arose trying to boot up as a complete unit -- don't ask me why.

Good luck.

Primal

Registered
rick106 (Apr 15, 2001 04:14 a.m.):
I have just built a new comp. But when i start it I got one long bep and then 2 short beeps, does anyone know what this means. Then a little laterthe comp wouldnt stat at all. This is really stressful, please can someone help me out,

Rixh

Hey Rick106. I found a clip for you.

1 Long, then 2 Short Beeps: Video error
Explanation: The BIOS is unable to access the video system in order to write any error messages to the screen. Diagnosis: This is usually caused by a problem with the video card, or the memory on the video card. It can also be a motherboard issue.

Try to reseat your video card and also reseat your memory modules.

Hope that helps.

AKDUDE

What he said, I bet the video card is not seated fully in the motherboard. Some of those AGP slots are really tight.