• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems accessing a hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enigma1

Hello All,

This is my first post and hopefully one of many here at Overclockers. :thup:

Not sure if I put this in the correct place, it did say all other hardware.

So heres the details:
I have been having problems accessing a friends hard drive after he got a virus message up on his screen. I wanted to fix it for him.
All the options under the F8 boot menu did not work. I even tried the recovery console option. When my friend typed in his password it accepted it but the screen then went black and hung there.

I decided to make a live CD. I burnt a copy of Slax (Linux) onto a CD. I removed the internal hard drive and put this in an external hard drive case. I booted from the CD and the operating system loaded and showed the hard drive, which was attached via a USB port. All files where still intact and could be viewed with the software that came with Slax. To try and retrive the files I attached another external hard drive which the OS picked up. I tried to copy and paste/drag and drop but the following message appeared:

'You cannot drop any items in a directory which you do not have write permissions'.

The persmissions for both drives looked like this:
dr-x------
I was looking for a 'w' as I know this stands for write, a write permission.

I also tried to attach the hard drive I had removed to a laptop running on Windows XP OS. When I tried to open any folders it would say 'Access denied'.

Now I'm sure this is something to do with the way the hard drive was originally formatted in NTFS and file permissions associated.
Is there a way round this to copy the files off the hard drive?

Thanks in advance,
Enigma1

psionic98

from the linux environment you could have tried to run as root and chmod 777 the drive.. that would give the user every right to the drive..

OP
Enigma1

Enigma1

Thankyou psionic98.

Should I use the following command for example:

sudo chmod777 C:\

Thanks,
Enigma1

OP
Enigma1

Enigma1

Thanks got this sorted now. Just changed permissions in Windows XP. :cool:

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Once you get the full control back, put it in USB case and power it up after you get the PC up and running and head to web sites like ESET.com for online scans. Run them alongside with any AV program you have on your computer. Your friend's HD sounds badly infected if it's causing trouble.

Be sure to run AV, anti-rootkit, and spyware program multiple times until you get consistent clean message.

If that seems too much trouble, save any clean files your friend wants, then reformat the HD.

Vipersfate

If you get a chance, google "Avira Rescue CD" It's a CD that's bootable, and it's quite good at removing/renaming Viral infections. It starts in another language, but click on the British flag and it's in English. Once that's done, you can run a program called Malwarebytes (Malwarebytes.org) and it should take care of an virus chilling around.

OP
Enigma1

Enigma1

I hooked up the hard drive using an external hard drive case to a spare laptop.
The anti-virus software in this case McAfee caught the virus while I was changing permissions It was called pskill.exe :cool: