• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems installing linux !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wired14

Hello

Here is whats happened last night while i was trying to install mandrakee latest version.

if youu need to know i have a P4 on an Asus P4T533-C motherboard, 256RAM, 80gb which as of yesterday it was partitioned to two drives of 40gb each.
Drive C had winxp and i thought it could be cool to have linux on drive D:\

anyways i run the set up wizard and when it asked me to set up a boot loader i chose the option to have it installed on the first linux partition on my hard drive and not on a disk. Big mistake cause when i tried to boot to linux the hard drive was giving me a 9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 so i had to reformat and reinstall. I used fdisk to delete the linux partition and here i am trying to install again. During the installation the pc froze a couple of times.NOTE: this pc had never froze on me before while i was on winXP . You may think that i did something wrong with the linux partitions but i am pretty sure i partitioned the D:\ okay. 2nd installationg was succesful and i created a boot loader on a disk. I boot to linux and i get an error like "only 1 processor found" but it keeps to load linux excellent and it takes me to KDE and the email set up wizard pops up. I click on cancel and Linux froze again.
To make this a short story i tried to install linux at least 10 times last night with no success but i do not understand why the computer would freeze or stop responding....
My hard drive does not have any problems . I run all the diagnostic tools from Maxtor ( power max) and it passed everything plus i never get any problems like that when i am on winXP.

Should i get a cheap hard drive off ebay something like 10gb and retry to install mandrake?

Also, is there any way to boot to linux without having to have a boot disk in drive A:\ ?

well, thanks

fiji

why dont you install GRUB (the bootloader) on the master boot record, im pretty sure mandrake install will ask you if you want to do this

that way you wont need a floppy

as to yoru freezing problems... no clue

jajmon

If you want to dual boot, install windows first, and partition to 40gb and leave the rest free, to install linux on. Install the linux boot loader (grub) on the mbr. Make the boot diskette just in case. Just recently I had issues when installing 'any' flavor of *nix on my sandbox pc, it would lock up in various parts of install, yet I could install 'any' flavor of windows with no lock up. Turns out I had 2 bad 8gb drives. I found this out looking at the windows event viewer, and it said hd0, iminent failure soon, back up etc. I gathered from that experience that *nix is less tolerable on a 'borderline' drive. I had run memtest86 and mfg hd diags, and neither reported problems. I suspect you have a similar issue with your hd, just from what you say and what I experienced.

OP
W

wired14

jajmon said:
If you want to dual boot, install windows first, and partition to 40gb and leave the rest free, to install linux on. Install the linux boot loader (grub) on the mbr. Make the boot diskette just in case. Just recently I had issues when installing 'any' flavor of *nix on my sandbox pc, it would lock up in various parts of install, yet I could install 'any' flavor of windows with no lock up. Turns out I had 2 bad 8gb drives. I found this out looking at the windows event viewer, and it said hd0, iminent failure soon, back up etc. I gathered from that experience that *nix is less tolerable on a 'borderline' drive. I had run memtest86 and mfg hd diags, and neither reported problems. I suspect you have a similar issue with your hd, just from what you say and what I experienced.

i just looked at windows event viewer and it does not mention anything like the problem you had.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
What speed did you burn the CDs at? I've seen several bad burns lately of various linux iso's. Some are serious enough as to be uninstallable, some are not but cause problems post-install. The recommended solution is to burn the disks at low speed, like 8x.

As for the 1 CPU found message during booting, that just means mandrake uses an SMP-enabled kernel by default.

OP
W

wired14

if i get a 10gb HD and install it in my system will it help to set up linux ? or are the same problems are going to re appear? and if everything goes ok is it going to always ask me if i want to load windows or linux when i start the pc ?

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
That depends on how you do it. For instance, if you unplug your main HDD from the motherboard and set the 10GB as the only HDD during the install, then let it install as if it is gonna be the only OS....

Well after the install you can stick your 80GB back in as the primary master, and let your linux HDD sit on another channel. then you can select which HDD to boot from in your bios boot order settings.

As for mandrake choking on you for no apparent reason as a possibility for future install attempts... I couldn't say. But there are plenty of other distros out there to try, and all of them are Linux.

OP
W

wired14

i chose mandrake because i heard its a good one plus i had the 3 cd's from a friend of mine.

i was thinking of leaving the 80gb as is with winXP as master and then install the 10gb as slave