• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems installing VGA cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duner

Hi, tried to replace the stock HSF on my 9500np yesterday with a Vantec iceburg4 (please no flames, it looks neat). I managed to get the stock HSF off easily enough. I then put some AS3 on the core and then put on the VGA cooler. Here's where the problem starts. When I booted up I noticed artifacts in the DOS screen. I went into bios and the artifacts are still there. I booted into windows ok, but the artifacts are still there. It makes my screen almost impossible to read.

I booted up my old 7500 and read a lot of the comments on new coolers, AS3 etc. Basically I gathered it was possible that I got some AS3 somewhere besides the core. I removed the cooler and there was some runoff on the edge of the core, but not much. I cleaned it up with some 70% rubbing alcohol, and just to be safe I used the silicone grease that came with the Iceburg4 because it's nonconductive. Well, boot into DOS and the exact same artifacting happens again, Damn.

I removed the cooler again, cleaned it up really well and left it overnight. I read up some more on other peoples problems and the only thing I could come up with was that some AS3 could possibly have gotten somewhere it shouldn't be. I went out and bought some 99% rubbing alcohol and read on the arctic silver site that to clean AS3 off of the ceramic part of the GPU, use some soap. I again cleaned off the gpu with the rubbing alcohol, the soap and the rubbing alcohol again. I was using Qtips and a soft toothbrush to really get into some of the smaller resistors around the core. I blow dried it with a hairdryer and let it air dry for a little bit. When I placed the cooler back on, using silicone grease and the stock HSF, you guessed it, artifacts in DOS.

I'm really stumped here. The card looks absolutely spotless and there's no physical damage to it that I can see. Am I missing something really simple here guys. Any advice would be appreciated.

If all fails then I guess I could go out and grab another 9500np, but that would suck because 2 X 9500np = 1 X 9800 pro.

Strida

Did you take the metal shim that surrounds the gpu off? If not, that's your problem. If you don't take the shim off your HS won't contact the core, this is definately a bad thing. There's some articles around in here that are about taking the shim off, poke around and you'll find some good info.

Most people use a razor blade and gently get one corner free, then peel the rest of the shim off with their hands. However, there was a recent post regarding the use of fishing line or tooth floss or something like this. What they did was use this to squeeze between the gpu and the shim and pry it off.

If this doesn't fix your problem, then you fricked up your card with the AS3 getting all over, and crapped it out. Sorry, it's broken if it comes to this. You can try submerging and scrubbing the card in rubbing alcohol but I'm not sure that it will work.

OP
D

Duner

Well, I did check the core with a straight edge and it's above the shim. I decided to remove the shim anyways, what could it hurt now. No luck though, still the exact same artifacting. I'll try an alcohol bath when I have some more time to tinker with it. Until then it's 7500 time. I won't give up on this 9500 that easy. Thanks for your help.