• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with a Giga mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seems like you may be giving up on the brand prematurely if it's only one motherboard/one product that gave you issues.

I've probably owned more boards from Gigabyte than any other brand at this point, and never had any serious problems. Though my experience is with their older boards, because it's cheaper to overclock on older hardware (typically).

Intel:
1x GA-G33M-DS2R (Vdrop and Vdroop a little high, but otherwise good)
1x GA-P35-DS3L
2x GA-EP45-UD3P
1x GA-EX58-UD4P
1x GA-P55-USB3
1x GA-P55A-UD4P

AMD:
1x GA-MA790X-UD4P
1x GA-MA790FX-UD5P
1x GA-MA790XT-UD4P

Those are all excellent boards. ;)

The main issue with RMA is I gave my backup rig to my daughter (different home) and I'll be without a rig entirely. Which will make keeping in touch with Gigabyte problematic, to say the least. LOL

I don't think I will ever buy an ROG board. Well maybe m9 Formula. Definitely nothing from their z170 lineup. TUF series sure but the Deluxe is easily as good as any ROG board and far better than the Hero and Ranger. I have never owned an Asrock but I have been seriously contemplating it lately. I'm going to build a Very small form factor rig this year maybe I'll check out Asrock. Ya Alaric I've had Gigabyte before and they are a solid board. My friend had the Gaming 7, and the only thing ever went wrong on his was all the RED. Besides that a good board.

I liked the board when I got it, and I'll like it again when it works. LOL. Part of my frustration is a messed up bootmgr.exe in W7 that causes me to jump through hoops for every reboot.

That should be a relatively easy fix. I forget how to do it let me go look real fast but I'm pretty sure you can do that from within the command prompt.

My Windows 10 drive/install screwed up my boot folder. Now I have to go through the BIOS, select the W 10 drive, boot, then select Windows 7 from the boot menu in Windows 10, then go back in the BIOS and select the Windows 10 drive. Then it boots in to Windows 7 (on a separate drive). It's crazy, but I don't think I can blame the mobo for that. LOL

The main issue with RMA is I gave my backup rig to my daughter (different home) and I'll be without a rig entirely. Which will make keeping in touch with Gigabyte problematic, to say the least. LOL

You lunkhead! Purchase another board and wait till it arrives, then swap it out. Once you have new board up and running then send Giga board in for RMA.

My Windows 10 drive/install screwed up my boot folder. Now I have to go through the BIOS, select the W 10 drive, boot, then select Windows 7 from the boot menu in Windows 10, then go back in the BIOS and select the Windows 10 drive. Then it boots in to Windows 7 (on a separate drive). It's crazy, but I don't think I can blame the mobo for that. LOL

I can't beleive c6 exists on this forum and hasnt atleast suggested a fix for that. EasyBCD (sorry no link but it should be easy to find) is specifically for choosing between multiple OS @ boot. If youve already tried it then i apologize, but if you havent then it should be your next stop because it might be just what you need.

On a side note, have you tried a "non destructive reinstall" ? This might also be what the doctor ordered. Sorry again for the no links. If you have troubles finding EasyBCD or non-destructive reinstall , keep an eye on this post for edits later in the day and ill put the links in.

Edit: http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ and http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Last edited:
You lunkhead! Purchase another board and wait till it arrives, then swap it out. Once you have new board up and running then send Giga board in for RMA.

That would be optimal, but the financial end of that isn't doable at the moment, and I really can't afford to be buying spare motherboards.

On a different note, how are you doing?

That would be optimal, but the financial end of that isn't doable at the moment, and I really can't afford to be buying spare motherboards.

On a different note, how are you doing?

Ahh I see. Well I wish you much success in the route you choose my friend!

I'm hanging in there you know, thx for asking!. Counting the days until D-day ;)

Having had a few orthopedic surgeries myself (16) I appreciate the process more than some can. Hopefully you're getting some pain relief while you wait. :thup:

Back