• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with CPU and External Cache

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gas-man

I'm having some problems...it started after trying to re-seat my waterblocks.

My computer will not boot into windows unless I go into BIOS and disable CPU + External Caching. And when it does boot up, it is EXTREMELY slow, like 10 minutes to get into windows, and several minutes to load a webpage.

If I enable Caching, the system freezes at the WinXP Pro loading screen (with the progress bar) and I have to reset.

Ideas?

Nope,

According to BIOS:

CPU1 --> 20C
CPU2 --> 80C
System --> 30C

No way I trust these numbers...a thermistor mounted close to the die of CPU2 reads about 50C which is pretty hot...

I think you're motherboard may be faulty. You may need to send it back for another one. You should not be getting temps of 80 on CPU2.

It's also possible that CPU2 itself is faulty. The motherboard reports the internal CPU diode temp. Either your waterblock isn't seated correctly or your motherboard or CPU is messed up.

Try swapping the CPUs. Put the one now in CPU1 over in CPU2 and vice versa. If the problem moves (ie. CPU1 now reports 80C) then the problem is with the CPU. If the problem stays with CPU2, then it is your motherboard.

Just let me say thanks for all the help so far.

The thing I want to be sure of, is whether the problem is that the temps actually are that high, or whether the computer is just telling me they are.....

I guess the CPU swap would be the best test.

I'll consider doing it, and get back to you tomorrow.

Back