• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems with D-link wireless router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chittnp

Im having problems with my D-Link wireless router (DI614+),

firstly, I get my connection from a cable modem, run through a hub to share access with my housemates, then the connection comes into my room and into the wireless router. I am unable to view other files on our house LAN, and view secure pages over my wireless connection. Im able to see other files on the LAN when I am plugged directly into the LAN, but not when using my wireless router and adapter. any ideas would be appreciated

Supchaka

Id run the cable to the wireless first, then uplink the family hub into the wireless... Thats how I would have it, so I would say to change that first

eaglescouter

Frustrating Senior SETI Nut!
Unless you have some special need, the router should be the first item in-line between the internet connection and anything in your house.

I suspect you have blocked ports on the router that keep you from seeing the rest of your lan because the router is in the wrong place within the internal network.

If you must leave the router in this unusual place, then you will need to log into the router and open or forward ports that allow you to perform the tasks you wish to perform.

But the best solution is to use the router's built in firewall as it was designed, and put all of the lan on one side of the router with the internet on the other side.

---Cable Modem----Router----Pc's/hub/Pc's

Supchaka

also, the way you currently have it connected you are technically on a different network than your housemates. By connecting it the way I mentioned you will bring yourself on the same network with them.