• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with i7-4820k + P9X79

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cam_g79

Hi everybody!
New user here... And new build!
Started with a sabertooth Mb, that seemed to have massive issues in general.
Now, P9X79 with latest bios
i7-4820k
Corsair 16g Ram
2 Geforce GTX 780 ti
850w power supply

So...
Was having massive issues keeping the system stable, as i would use it. I would never get blue screen of death, but would get just system drop off, and no restart. Would have to power cycle the power supply to get a reboot. And then, would only last for about 20 minutes. I thought it was graphics overheat, so i turned down the cards to 50%, and fans up to max, so the cards would sit at 60c working temp. (They are built to run at 80c nominal) No difference.
Swapped my power supply from a 750 to a 850, and that seems to have solved just about all issues...
Only problem now is, i cant overclock my chip, which really... is fine at this point, but cant seem to figure out how to turn off overclocking on the P9X79. (not pro) Funnier thing to me is, if the chip is warm, and system has been on for a little while, i can overclock it to 4.5 easy. (from 3.7) and it will run stable until the system is powered down for overnight. Then restarting cold, i get hangs on windows boot, overclock fail messages, and about 5-6 or 10 reboots required to get er up and running again. After running stable though, im all good for the rest of the day....

hmm...

Hi all! Glad to be here, and hoping to learn something new!
~Guy

What settings have you changed for a 4.5GHz clock, and what is the exact model of RAM? What are the modules rated at, and what are the current DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage at 4.5GHz?

Hi there. Thanks for the reply!
Ram is Corsair Vengeance. 2 Chips, 8g each. (Yes in the correct slots) 1600mhz PC3 12800.
Frequency is 800 mhz on both chips, tRAS is 27, tRC is 41, Voltage is 1.5v. Max bandwith is 800mhz...
What did i change for the clock... Well... I used the Asus Ai AutoTune... I selected "Fast" where my 2 options are Fast or Extreme. When i had to go through the bios (cause it crashed this morning on bootup) the settings were on manual, and i put it back to auto, which now looking at ai, my cpu frequency is down to 3611.1 on all cores.
I have never physically gone into settings to "overclock" a machine before, so at that, i wouldnt know what to look for either way... Hence why i used the auomated setup, which the user manual said to do anyways. lol.

So, im starting to think i may have a defective processor...
I still get complete shutdowns and reboots, (just took me 9 attempts, and 5 bios window entry and exits (no changes)) to get her to run. From a cold start... again...

Anyways...
Its looking like the only way i can get the computer to run, is if i manually limit the frequency to 100mhz, and manually strap all cores at 100mhz. Taking all auto, boost, overclock, anything to push the chip, even to its "turbo" allowed mode of 3900, and limit the chip to 3700 flat out. Thinking of purchasing a replacement, trying it, and then returning this one to amazon... Its so odd how it runs sometimes, yet not other times.
Well, heres to trying a strap at 100... hoping that keeps it stable. Reaching the end of my rope...

Load optimized defaults in the BIOS, change any necessary settings (no overclocking related options), then boot into the GUI. Once in the GUI reboot and re-enter the BIOS, where you'll be doing your overclocking from this point forward. Then give these settings a try for 4.6GHz...
Code:
Ai Overclock Tuner: XMP
BCLK Frequency: 100.00
CPU Ratio (Turbo Ratio = Auto/By All Cores/By Per): 46 

CPU Core Voltage: Offset mode
Offset Mode Sign: + 0.095
Dram Voltage: 1.500
CPU Load-Line Caibration: Extreme
CPU Current Capability: 130%
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
... and leave all other options on Auto.

Sweet Red. Thanks so much.
Just put those settings in, (after realizing the reset reset my boot drive) (oops) and first boot it works so far. :)
Will give it a go for the day and report back.
Thanks again, so much for your assistance!

So...
Still needing multiple reboots upon cold start. So weird. It's not a car. Lol.
Down to about 4 reboots and crashes, with "overclock failure" and then purrs for hours...

So...
Still needing multiple reboots upon cold start. So weird. It's not a car. Lol.
Down to about 4 reboots and crashes, with "overclock failure" and then purrs for hours...

Your best bet is to reset your OC to default and start it over. OC small step at a time, until you understand and familiar with all the setting in your bios.

Understood Bruce, but even at that, resetting to original settings on the mb, still overclocks the chip, without any input from me. True, it seems its really only enabling the turbo mode of the chip, but still, its a small overclock...

So, today, started up to a straight crash...
Tried something new, upon the reboot, went into the bios, and waited... for the chip to come up from 60f, to 80f... Then continued the boot, and wouldnt you know it, booted right up...
Going to try this tomorrow as well. So darn screwy in my opinion...
Wishing i didnt go the 2011 chipset route...

But anyways... Purring right along, 4.6......

Back