• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor Performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabkicks

DOes the XP 2400+ really perform as well as a P4 2.4 ghz?? Do all of the XP's perform as well as they claim they do compared to P4's??

Tough question. I think that the PR rating system for the Athlon XP's has gotten a little out of hand, so I would probably say that the 2400 doesn't perform as well as a P4 2.4. I think that especially with the P4 C out, the PR ratings are going to get especially out of whack since they run on an 800Mhz bus, and would easily blow most of the Athlon's out of the water...unless you have your Athlon overclocked to insane speeds that is. :D

I Think they are rated about right. Check out the comparisons in Sisoft Sandra. My cpu out performs a p4 3.06 and a XP 3000+ at it's current OC.

q149 said:
I Think they are rated about right. Check out the comparisons in Sisoft Sandra. My cpu out performs a p4 3.06 and a XP 3000+ at it's current OC.

That may be the case with a P4 A or P4 B, but the P4 C will blow the Athlon with the correct PR rating out of the water im afraid.

amd's PR rating has slipped up quite a bit. esp w/ the 3200 barton.

id say it would take a barton ~2.4ghz to perform at the same level of a p4C 3ghz, w/ the exception of memory benchmarks of course but the p4c also can be overclocked to some extremely high fsb and clock speeds...

-TriX

From what I've seen, Palimino's PR was pretty accurate to the P4 benchmarks of the time. T-Breds are reletivly close (nothing to really get in a fit over... perhaps +-100-200Mhz depending on the task) to the P4s in benchmarks I've seen. Bartons are a bit further off still (the 3000+ seems to be beaten by the 2800+ T-Bred quite often...)

Dunno what P4s they were being tested against, but as you get newer AMD cores, they tend to be further and further off from the P4.

Disclaimer: I'm not really in to tracking how good either the P4 or Athlon perfoms... So my information may be a bit skewed and inaccurate.
JigPu

They really aren't too bad until 3000+. The 2.8+ is pretty comparable, but AMD will always be better then Intel at certain things and Intel will always beat AMD at certain things.

The 800 mhz FSB = great performance is a bit of a myth as far as I am concerned. Even on the 875 boards with TONS of bandwidth they don't kill Bartons. Like I said they are going to beat them in somethings, but they don't dominate.

Heck, the Barton holds its own pretty well and even wins some of the benchies here:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDY5LDQ=

Not exactly what you would expect when paying twice as much, heh.

Pretty much the same results only with more 875 boards and the Barton 3000+/nForce2 combo pretty much owns the 3 ghz (800 FSB)/865 combo.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc3LDU=

Thinking about spending the extra dough on a springdale/intel combo? Don't bother.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc1LDQ=

Last edited:
I think actual MFLOP wise and everything, a real 2400 should be called the 2600. but factor in the mem bandwidth that the 2.4 canterwood has, and it is more like a 2200-2300.

AMD's PR system has been revamped several times since the introduction of the AthlonXP.

The most accurate PR comes from the XP2400+ T-bred B which operates at 2GHz and is more than on par with a 2.40GHz Pentium4 B CPU.

Almost no AthlonXP has a PR suited for the 800MHz FSB Pentium4 PCs. It just wasnt designed to rate at such a performance gain on the P4 side.

The current Barton 2500+, 2800+, and 3000+ were all meant to challange the 2.53, 2.8 and 3.06 533FSB Pentium4s and beat the P4 in majority of the applications.

Actually, the only CPU rated to go against the Pentium4 Cs is the Barton 3200+. Although still vary overated, the 3200+ AthlonXP outperforms the 3GHz Pentium4 in alot of stuff.

The newest rumors that I've heard are, that AMD is launching two more XPs before it ends the era of the AthlonXP. Those are the 3400+ and 3600+ models. The difference between these CPUs and previous Bartons is MHz. These two chips although should be clocked at 2.3 and 2.4GHz are instead clocked at 2.40GHz and 2.50GHz.

A PR of 3600+ from a 2.50GHz AthlonXP is also pushing it but seems reasonable.

OC-Master

Back