• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Processor UpDate

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
first you have to post up ur motherboard info, type of ram and stuff.
You man not be able to use a 2.4C on ur system if it doesn't support 800FSB.

Any Pentium 4C will competely smoke a Celeron system because:

- 800MHz FSB vs 100 (?). Data can enter and leave the CPU, in theory, 8 times faster.
- Faster in terms of MHz as well, say for a 2.4C, 2400MHz vs 1200MHz.
- More cache, 512k vs 128k. No competition.
- RAM will be running faster in a P4C system as well. That celly is probably using PC133 RAM.

It all depends on what you use the system for. A 1.2GHz Celeron is fine for web browsing, word processing, some simple games etc but you will find a P4C system a lot faster for modern games, as long as your video card is up to the job.

However, I beleive Celerons are Socket 370 and P4Cs need relatively new (Intel 865 and 875?) Socket 478 boards. Most of your peripherals should be OK but you will probably need at least a new board and RAM to upgrade the CPU, and possibly a Graphics card as well if your current graphics is onboard, or is pretty underpowered and you want to do a lot of gaming.

Here is the attachment with all my system info so have a look at it and tell me what you think.

Attachments

• easy_ea.txt
    4 KB · Views: 103
Video Card : Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller

It looks like onboard video to me. So if you want to upgrade your CPU you are going to need a new board, new CPU, new RAM and a new Graphics card.

MrM1188 said:
so pretty much just go out and buy a new computer you are sayinh

Not totally.... you can still use your floppy drive/CDROM drive/hard drive in the computer, but the main guts will need replaced. Possibly need a new PSU as well.

Building a new PC would probably be the best option actually, because there isnt really anything much faster than a 1200MHz Celeron that you are going to get in that board, assuming it is a Socket 370 board which I am 90% sure it is.

so how much would i be looking at if i were to upgrade all these items? over 500 bucks? because i am a big fan of war games such as Command and Conquer: Generals and that game jsut barely squeaks by with my computer.

MrM1188 said:
so how much would i be looking at if i were to upgrade all these items? over 500 bucks? because i am a big fan of war games such as Command and Conquer: Generals and that game jsut barely squeaks by with my computer.

Depending on your board, if it has an AGP slot or not, you could just pop in a 64MB Ti4200 or Radeon 8500 or something which would make games run a bit better than an 8MB onboard chip, and wouldnt break the bank. As for replacing your machine completely:

P4C-2.4GHz
2x 256MB RAM Kingmax
Abit IS7
Gainward GeForce 4 Ti4200

Comes to about $430 at Newegg.com.

A decent PSU will probably be about $50 to $60.

$430 dollars seems about the same as i would pay for a computer. Thanks for the info and i will think about whether i want to pay for a new computer or pay and build a "new" computer.

MrM1188 said:
$430 dollars seems about the same as i would pay for a computer. Thanks for the info and i will think about whether i want to pay for a new computer or pay and build a "new" computer.

No probs, but as I said, if you have a free AGP slot (longish slot, further from the side of the case than a PCI slot) then you could possibly just put a Ti4200 in it which would help make games run better.

Should remember when you buy that new computer at walmart or where ever that your going to be looking at the same general thing your looking at now, maybe a little faster and newer but still not upgradable in the future and very little OCing capabilities.

build it :) or @ least talk to a friend or someone you know to build it.

alot of compuetrs stores charge WAY to much to assemble a PC when you can do it yourself - even if never done before!

MrM1188 said:
how many hours am i looking at in building this new computer?

An afternoon at the maximum I would think - including setting up teh Operating System.

Just a thought: If money is tight then it might be cheaper to go the AMD route:

AMD XP2000+ Tbred -- $67
Gainward GeF4Ti4200 -- $99
400W PSU -- $59
2x Kingmax PC3200 -- $72
Abit NF-7 -- $70

$367 so far + postage.

Add in a decent case of your choice, keep the same hard disk, floppy disk and cdrom drive and you have a nice gaming PC which should handle most games with decent detail levels for no more than $450 probably.

are there any parts that need to be sodered or anything? if so, can you get a installation guide?

Back