• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Professional Data Archiving... But how?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Como

Hello!

Long time no post... I'm happy to see this forum is still alive!

I left the overclocking game a few years after I turned my lovely PC hobby into a career- and now I just fix stupid problems all day every day for money.
This week, I've got a problem I don't see an easy solution to.

I have a problem.... with TAPE.
Realistically the problem is with bad management, but I can't fix that.

So.
Right now, I need to have backups 5 days a week of about 2... Twice. As in, two different networks, backup systems, backups, etc.
Recently after five years of making my point, I finally saw some movement- I can now put those two backups.... on the same physical device! Hooray!

So now I'm dealing with LTO5.
Anyone here who has every worked with LTO knows where I'm going with this.... let me OUT!

But there's a catch.
I still need cold storage.
I still need 5 different backups to 5 different devices 5 days a week- and then once a month I still need yet another backup to go to another device that goes offsite.
The key word here is COLD storage.

Ideally, what i'm looking for is a rackmount device that holds a couple of hard drives (5?) and cycles between them nightly.
I feel like I could build this with christmas tree light timers, or a fricken' arduino... but going in the rack means it really should be professionally made and covered with a warranty.

I started looking at at "virtual tape" devices, which might be part of the answer... but without cold storage I'm still just stuck on tapes.

I could probably work out the details with basic scheduled tasks if I could just have a device that rotates disks for us. There's no way this hasn't come up before... although this might not be the best forum to ask I have to figure a lot of the folks that used to overclock with me way back when have found themselves working in a similar field.

So... what's out there for cold storage these days?

Back