• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROFESSIONALLY done waterblock testing. (satisfied?) Cheap!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If your primary goal is to learn, then wonderful. You're already way ahead of a lot of people who prefer to remain stuck in their preconceptions.
These folks are right: there is a HUGE amount to learn, but you have several resources available to you, not the least of which is the membership of this forum (some of them, anyway).
What you have going for you is your willingness to do this, and for that I applaud you big time. Things like this would never happen if it weren't for people like you, because there sure isn't anything in it.
If the other purpose of this thread was to see how many people are interested in availing themselves of your services in the near future, probably few or none.
I wouldn't call it a trust issue (that sounds personal), but confidence in a scientific method must first be established with a detailed description of materials, methods, etc.. and especially reproduciblity.
I think you're smart to read and study some more before proceeding, and definitely do so before spending any money.
I wish you lots of luck with this. Keep posting and asking questions and questioning the answers. The people you want to listen to are the ones who can tell you WHY they disagree with you. At this stage, you want as much critique as you can get.
Don your flame-proof armor and dig in...
Cheers.

if you wana try and get started more power to ya, just dont jump in, get your feet wet first then slowley wade in

gone_fishin said:

????? "it's easier to see that a good design will allow a lower CPU temp, because the temperature gradient between the CPU and the water will mostly sit in the block, and not the CPU"

What you just said,
Translation: temperature gradient=difference between two temps
The two temps?: CPU and water
???the gradiant sits in the block not the CPU??? excuse me but WTF are you talking about???

And Ben you gotta make one before you send one;)
Since87 said:

The road to hell is paved with...

I believe there are a lot of people in this world who believe Osama Bin Laden has good intentions. (Including Osama himself.)

Admirable?

Well intentioned dissemination of misinformation is not particularly admirable IMO.

Also - what gf said.
All right, I'll take back the line about the water temp: I was clearly wrong there.

As for making one, I'm sticking to theory for now, but if you want to see my work:

Microcup design

Radius waterblock

I realize that to the meat heads, theory isn't worth anything compared to something that can be felt and touched...:rolleyes:

Bottom line is that you have to present a full specification of the method. If that can be objectively verified and is sufficient for the measurement to be done in an acceptable way (repeatable, accurate etc), then you're good to go.

As a personal suggestion; if you're trying to make some money from the H2O crowd, you'd best leave this path that has such high requirements and buy a mill, some copper, some plexi and a big jar of copper polish and start making shiny see-through Maze-like blocks. ;)

bigben2k said:

All right, I'll take back the line about the water temp: I was clearly wrong there.

As for making one, I'm sticking to theory for now, but if you want to see my work:

Microcup design

Radius waterblock

I realize that to the meat heads, theory isn't worth anything compared to something that can be felt and touched...:rolleyes:

Meatheads? Ok Archie.

Seriously, theory is great but most often can only be refined through doing. Also theory must be based on sound principles. Did not mean to offend you but technobabble such as your post in question just has to be confronted, simply because it made no sense.:D

I think 2 thing would benifit this thread.

1: xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx, I know what you are saying, and if you start putting all your post together you get a better idea of what you are proposing. I suggest if you really want to be taken seriously that you put together a complete proposal. You say you have been taking thermaldynamics? We for all intents and purposes WE are the teacher, you are the student, your righting a paper, WE are grading it. Make us believe you deserve a B.

2: Everyone else. Take it easy on the guy, you bashing him at the same time your asking questions and putting him on the defensive. Its kind of hard to explain what you want to do when you are defending yourself at the same time. Makes for even more jarbled posts.

Anyway wish you luck.

Peace

I don't think many people would be interested in spending cash to have thier WB's tested by you. I think this thread should die and people should look at existing threads with more detailed information.
Theory is fun and cool and has it's place....But theory is not cooling my 2.1v XP1700! that's implementation.

Oh and calling people meat heads?.....

"Honestly who calls someone a meat head?" (yeah say it like Austin Powers!)

Quazar said:

Take it easy on the guy, you bashing him at the same time your asking questions and putting him on the defensive. Its kind of hard to explain what you want to do when you are defending yourself at the same time.

In doing "professional" testing, having to be able to defend your testing and results comes with the territory.

As Tecumseh said:

"Is it better to crush youthful exuberance with hardcore knowledge or let people forge ahead in bliss, only to be crushed later?"

To me $2000 is a lot of money. I'd rather Excelsior know what he's in for, before he spends it, than after.

UnLoadeD said:

PS. Your price of $30 vs $90 he charged for DIY blocks won't make a difference because there was a standing offer to have DIY blocks sponsored so the maker would only have to pay $30. Sadly nobody ever took advantage of this offer.

Actually, I did pay (part of the fee) for the testing of my multihole waterblock. JoeC kicked in the rest for the multihole block and gratiously picked up the whole tab for the my copper cap block.

I was saddened that BillA stopped testing because I had already improved my design based on his testing and was going to send it in again for more testing. Oh well, BillA went on to a great opportunity but we still have JoeC to follow in his footsteps.

O

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx, I say the best method you could possibly use, is research, research, research, research, set your stuff up, test some of your own blocks (you did say that you have 10 WC systems), research, research, research, test your blocks again, research, research, test one more time (just to be sure your results are valid), research, research, then (and only then) show off your results and your testing methods (with plenty of pictures), and offer the same testing to other people.
This whould not only help you perfect your testing methods and increase your testing accuracy, but also add alot of credibility to your offer of block testing.

Be :cool:

gone_fishin said:

Meatheads? Ok Archie.

Seriously, theory is great but most often can only be refined through doing. Also theory must be based on sound principles. Did not mean to offend you but technobabble such as your post in question just has to be confronted, simply because it made no sense.:D
That's where I'm at, and unfortunately still don't have all my tools handy :( Otherwise agreed.

I really gotta straighten up that water temp issue.

My logic was: if the heat source is the same, then the heatercore dissipates the same heat, therefore the water temp remains the same.

Now I have to accept that the temp gradient is spread out to include water.:bang head

Back