• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Programming text editors under Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

naif

I was searching for a good programming editor under Linux under the Console mode. I tried out some like Rhide, Jered, and Setedit and mcedit. Setedit and mcedit are the only one I like but I wanted to know if anyone knew about any other good editors which have language indenting built into them and maybe even a function index menu for refering to the C/C++ functions.

FTE is a pretty nice programming editor, might not have the sophistication of vim (I'm not a vim expert), but its certainly nice. You owe it to yourself to check it out. I'm just recommending it for programming, not general text editting.

If you've got the time to read through vim's tutroial (hour or two), I'd recommend vim. I use it and love it, and it's got indenting and syntax highlighting.

Call me old school, but I like vim. Its small, fast, easy enough to use, and it colors your text. I find thats great for spotting errors, at least some of the time.

Alright thanks all. I download FTE just now so I guess I will be giving it a try soon. About vim, I think its kind of a little bit complicated for me, though maybe I will give it a try soon if I dont find anything good :)

Back