• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: DARK ARMOR.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

.:PTB73:.

Registered
Hello All,

I have officially started my first case modding project (DARK ARMOR) & wanted to share it with everyone.

I've wanted to mod a case for quite some time & finally decided to go for it! The case I'm using is a Rosewill Line M, it's a cheap case ($40) so if I screw it up.. no big deal!

The point of this mod is to build a clean system (rebuilding current system w/some *new* parts) with most of the cables/wires being concealed/hidden.

There is just something about a clean build that looks so nice!?

NOTE: All I have for a camera is my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7", so please forgive the picture quality.. or lack thereof!? lol

Why Project: DARK ARMOR.. I'm going to be "painting" the entire case with truck bed liner/coating!

Here is a shot of the side of the case before I cut the window out & sanded it.

Time to make a window & do a lot of sanding. Okay, here goes....... lol The aftermath: greasy fingerprints & all, not to bad.. it's not perfectly straight, but I can fix that with a little grinding!

Here's the inside after sanding, not a lot of room in there!

I decided to cut the front fan grill out & give the intake fan a little more room to breath, plus it should be a little quieter with less turbulence.

I've got quiet a bit more to do yet.. I'm making plates for the bottom & back side of the case that will cover most of the cables/wires. I'm also waiting on a couple custom made backplates I'm having laser etched on black anodized aluminum. I designed a couple different logo's for my EVGA GTX 660 SC & my Creative SB X-Fi Titanium.

Here are a couple mock ups I did to send to the company making them for me so they knew how I wanted them.. they seemed to like them!?

Well, that's all for now.. I'll be updating this thread as I progress with the build, STAY TUNED!

Later, Phil B.

Hey all,
UPDATE #1 OCT-15-2013.
Got my custom designed backplates this evening & they turned out great. Actually, they look better than I was expecting.. I'm very happy with them! This is the first time I've designed something like this & actually had it made.. I'm just thrilled!

I sure wish I had a decent camera.. I'll take some more shots tomorrow in better light w/o the glare!

The shots with the backplates on the card is just temp.. I still have to get some thermal pads & or some washers & screws.
Well, what do you think??
Later, Phil B.

ZapTap,
They are laser etched/engraved on black anodized aluminum.

yamaharacer19,
It was Trophy Time In Champaign, IL. www.trophytime.com.

I'll try to get some better pics up by tomorrow some time.
Later, Phil B.

UPDATE #2 OCT-16-2013.

Hello All,

I got some new parts today & thought I'd take a moment to add a parts list & give you an update on the progress of the case mod.

Like I said in the first post, I'm basically rebuilding my system in a new modded case.

I still have to make a plate that goes in the bottom & back of the case (picked up some 22GA steel plate yesterday) & figure out where I'm going to position the drives.

I got my new case fans today & the new NEX650G & G602 mouse about two weeks ago.

I still have to order some thermal pads for the GPU & sound card backplates, I have the backplate temporarily mounted on the sound card until I get the thermal pads.. I'm still trying to find the right sized screws for the GPU!?

Not Bad!?

Later, Phil B.

Hmmm.. Just wondering, how much did you pay for both of the backplates??
Which category is it under? and also what program did you use to make your designs? Sorry for questions... Your mod just brought back my interest to mod. :D

Last edited:
pigpottomus,
I paid $60.54 for the both of them. Trophy Time charges by the logo plus materials & setup. They prefer, .eps, .cdr, .ai, .psd, .jpg, .tiff, and .bmp files I sent them 400dpi .jpeg files.

The program I used is rather old, it's called Picture Publisher 8, I beleave they were bought out by Corel several years ago.. you can use any program you're comfortable with!?

How did I find Trophy Time: I just started making calls to all of the local glass/plastic cutting shops in my area looking for someone that was able to laser cut acrylic.. someone said to give Trophy Time a call, so I did! I took my GPU & video card to them the next day & told them what I wanted, I was originally going to have them laser cut the logos out of some acrylic & make backplates from that & paint them to match the case.. but the gentleman I spoke to showed me a few samples of some of their laser etched anodized aluminum & I went that rout instead! I got home that night & came up with a few different designs I liked (above), I settled on the ones I liked & sent them the .jpeg files the next day & they had them done the day after that.

Good Luck, Phil B.

UPDATE #3 OCT-18-2013.

Hello All,
I got the front panel taped off & sanded & ready for paint, I also got the bottom & back plates cut & sanded, all that is left to do is get the last half inch on either end of the back panel bent at 90 degrees. It's going to be mounted in the front of the case near the back to cover the right side of the motherboard & cables. The bottom plate will be raised 1/2" from the bottom of the case for routing cables & have a couple access holes for routing cables to the bottom of the motherboard, I'll also be mounting a 300GB WD Velociraptor to the bottom plate on the right. I also have to cut a plate to cover the drive bay mounts at the top of the case, I'll be installing the 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 to the side of this plate so the drive is visible threw the top right of the window. After that all I have left to do is sand a few more parts, paint & assemble everything! lol
Later, Phil B.

UPDATE #4 OCT-20-2013.

Just a quick update..

I got the thermal pads for the GPU & Sound Card backplate's yesterday, I'll be installing them in the next day or two!?

Today I got the drive bay/cable cover measured, cut, bent (used a heat gun) & sanded & ready for paint, there's not a lot left to do. I just need to remove the parts from my curent system, sand a couple pieces, & test fit everything & mark where the SSD & HDD will go. After that all that's left to do is tape off some parts & paint.
Later, Phil B.

UPDATE #5 OCT-26-2013.

Hey Everyone,
Sorry I haven't had any updates for a couple of days, I had to tear down my system to test fit everything & I only have the one system.
I got everything painted yesterday & it turned out better than I had hoped it would.. I really like this RUST-OLIUM Truck Bed Coating! I tried to get some good shots of the texture (tablet camera) of the paint/bedliner!? I forgot to get pictures of the bottom, backplate & side panels.. just to excited to start assembling the system!! LOL
Anyway, I got the system put together tonight & it looks geat, I'll take a few pics of the system tomorrow during the day.

I may get some individually sleeved black cables at some later date to better match the overall black theme.. I may mix some blue in here & there as well!?

Later, Phil B.

This is the cover off of the Cooler Maser Hyper N520.

Here's it is put back together.

Front Panel, drive bay covers & Hyper N520 Cover.

Here's the case. NOTE: I hung it upside down for painting.

Back Panel "texture."

Texture on the top of the case, you can kind of get a feel for what the texture looks like in this pic.. everything looks the same (texture & color) & turned out great!

FINAL UPDATE OCT-27-2013.

Here it is.. DARK ARMOR!

The point of this build was to mod my fist case & build a system that is clean with as little wiring/cable showing as possible.. I think I did okay!?

It's kind of hard to even see the backplates.. but that's okay, I knew they were going to be like they are from the start, they still look cool though! lol

Thanks for watching.. Enjoy!
Later, Phil B.

Thanks Guys.

Soulcatcher668,
LOL Yeah, that Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP barely sticks up past the clips holding it in!
Later, Phil B.

Back