• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Demon!! New to liquid cooling..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Llyndis

Registered
Hello everyone. I am new to custom loop water cooling and have a few questions. I am doing a new Build and want to do the best that I can. I bought the Thermaltake core p5 case and an EVGA 1200 p2 power supply. I am trying to figure out which liquid cooling parts to purchase. I have been looking at the Thermaltake stuff alot. Anyone have any experience on these? I plan on cooling the cpu and gpu. I will be running hard tubing as well. Not sure of a color theme yet. Still deciding on my gpu and cpu but I will be using the computer for gaming. Thank you for all the input. :D

So right now I am considering the Thermaltake pacific pr22-D5 silent pump/reservoir combo and the Thermaltake pacific rl560 radiator. Any opinions on these?

Welcome!!!!

In order to help out the best, we would need to know what parts you are actually going to cool. You don't build a loop then get the hardware. That is backassward. :)

Seeing as how you purchased a 1.2KW PSU, I would assume you are cooling 3 GPUs and the CPU? Otherwise, a 550W PSU is plenty for a single GPU setup...(return it and save $~175 if you are on a single GPU).

As far as thermaltake rads... no idea if they are good or not. The experts can hcime in and help. In the meantime, I would imagine google has reviewed these before.... go take a look and see what their impressions are. As far as the pump, if its a D5 inside, its a solid pump so you are set there.

Yes it is a d5 pump. I am going to be cooling 2 gpus and the CPU and then add a 3rd down the road. I haven't bought the other components yet because I was waiting on a few things in my personal life. Should I go soft or hard tubing? I have done a lot of looking around on Google as well. Thanks

Id go soft... hard tubing is a monutmental PITA to add/remove items from. I personally believe, as much as I switch parts out, that hard tubing is for shows and not real use.

With those 3 GPUs, heck two even, are you running 4K or multiple monitors? I think we should get an idea of that build before we go much further honestly...

Have a look at the guides in this section. :)P

I'm running dual 4k monitors from asus. I am looking at the Asus rog extreme z170 board. Going to max out memory with gskill trident 3200mhz. Not sure on which graphics cards to run. Any suggestions on the tubing?

I would look into a lesser costing board that fits your theme honestly. While the ROG Extreme board is great, it has features on it not made for the average user. You are paying a huge premium there for no reason when a board that costs half that will have the features you need.

Same with ram... 'maxing out' memory is pretty useless unless you are actually going to use it. That and it will cost an arm and a leg. I would say 16GB DDR4 3000 CL15 is fine. If you insist on more or need it, go 32GB. Maxing it out though really isn't cost effective. Do as you wish, but with your motherboard and ram choices, you do not remotely need what you suggested and can save hundreds in doing so. :)

For soft tubing, as noted in the guides, Primochill LRT is all we suggest really. If you want color in the loop, get colored tubing no dye.

Yeah I seen in the guides not to use dye. I was thinking of doing either black and red or black and white theme. Just did some research on the radiator it's aluminium with a zinc coating. Any opinion on that? I read on a few post be careful with corrosion. I plan to change the distilled water every 3 months.

Id stay away from mixing metals personally...

Changing the water every 3 months is overkill honestly. Once/twice year is plenty assuming non mixed metals, etc...

Which metals are being mixed the ones in the radiator? Any suggestion on a 480mm rsdiator? Thanks for the primo chill it looks excellent. I'll be ordering it tonight.

Aluminum and copper(blocks) I would imagine...

I like the Swiftech radiators, as well as the Alphacool Nexxos line.

My suggestion is to slow down a bit and order at one time... you are not sure on the parts, order, pathing so who knows on the tubing. 10' should be fine in most cases though...

Id really get an idea of what, exactly, your parts are going to be... figure out how much radiator you actually need for current needs and future growth, and only then order the parts. AT this point, and I don't b;lame you, it feels like you are a kid in a a candy store with a wad of cash ready to blow on anything...not a good place to be...

Yeah lol. I will check out those radistors. Thank you for all the input. I just odered that thermal take pump and res combo. Looks promising. I have messed with a lot of closed loops and this is my first loop. I want something that looks amazing and performs like a champ. I considered doing hard lines with instead of bending the tube just use fittings to make my turns.

Looks like I'll be going with the ut60 480mm full copper radiator. I love that it's full copper on the the parts that contact water.

I decided to go with these fans. I do not believe I will need a push pull configuration. Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 120mm 2000RPM Case Fan

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to go with these fans. I do not believe I will need a push pull configuration. Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 120mm 2000RPM Case Fan

You reposted what I already merged, LOL!

You likely wont need p/pull, no. That 480 should support a CPU and 250W GPU overclocked to the moon. Once you get past that 2 GPU stage, you will need more radiator, so plan ahead...

.. that cart is still way ahead of the horse my friend...

Sorry about that didn't mean too. I won't be going past the 2 gpus point so that's the radiator I'm sticking with. I have decided to go with the xspc d5 photon 270 pump res combo. Love the led light it has since I'm using no dye. Thanks for all the help you are giving me. It is greatly appreciated.

Sorry about that didn't mean too. I won't be going past the 2 gpus point so that's the radiator I'm sticking with. I have decided to go with the xspc d5 photon 270 pump res combo. Love the led light it has since I'm using no dye. Thanks for all the help you are giving me. It is greatly appreciated.

Is That a D5 basic, a D5 vario, or a D5 PWM? PWM is the better option.

It says it's a vario. Where can I get the pwm?? I need a big res to go with my case!

Not sure, are you in the US or somewhere else?

Performance PC's is popular. You don't need a big res. Unless you just have to have it.

You should look around a bit. Not sure when you decided to go watercooling or how long ago. It's a good idea to sit back and decide for a month or two and figure it out a bit.

I have been doing closed loops for awhile and have always been interested in the open loops. I'm in US. I was just going to get the big res to fill up space in this case it's pretty big. I have been browsing around and I'm learning so yeah lol.

Back