• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(PROJECT LOG) New gaming PC time!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay, so I'm just a tad concerned about my choice of wattage.

My friend told me to take the PCPartPicker watt number and times it by 1.5 to get a PSU guideline. I did, but the person who told HIM about this method said i might not have enough for the minor overclocks I'll be applying to the CPU and GPU. I'm hoping for +100MHz on the GPU core and +300 on the VRAM, and pushing the processor up to, or 100MHz below its turbo speed. Will 600W be enough for this?...

My friend told me to take the PCPartPicker watt number and times it by 1.5 to get a PSU guideline. I did, but the person who told HIM about this method said i might not have enough for the minor overclocks I'll be applying to the CPU and GPU. I'm hoping for +100MHz on the GPU core and +300 on the VRAM, and pushing the processor up to, or 100MHz below its turbo speed. Will 600W be enough for this?...

Yes, 600W is way more than you need. Below is the power usage for a Ryzen 5 1500X while gaming with a GTX 1080 GPU.

Ryzen 1500XPower.jpg

Last edited:
So i put all of my parts for my backup rig in my old case it to get them out of the way and i hooked the PSU up just to see how much easier it is work with and oh my lord. Definitely glad i went with a semi modular unit!

What would y'all recommend for some good headphones? I'm not an audiophile, far from it, but i can tell the difference between $5 earbuds from Walmart and $100 over ear headphones. Anybody got a recommendation for an in between?

logitech has some good headsets, but if you just need headphones, see if you can't nab a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pros.

If you need it to be cheaper than that; Shure SE112 for in ear, coming in at $50

Depending on how my next couple of checks look, I probably won't have anything else bought until mid June. But, in the meantime, I can do a build montage of me putting my backup rig back together when I get the motherboard replaced, if y'all would be interested.

Happy mother's day to the ladies (are there any female members here in the forums?) And wishing you all a happy memorial day as well.

Status update!

So, getting paid next Tuesday. I'm hoping to buy at least the case, keyboard and mouse, but depending on if my old spinner has survived the few months of stasis, I might need to like that to just the case. If I don't have to buy new storage, the build should be done by fourth of July, work schedule permitting.

Have a question on seating though: Do any of you use those fancy racer style chairs? If so, anybody know of a reasonably inexpensive brand that would be a good first buy? Trying to stay under $200, won't be buying until the build is actually set up.

DXRacer is probably your best bet. For weights 200 and under, you can get one for $300; Otherwise, check craigslist for used DXRacer or Aeron chairs. For $200, Your back will hate you, as I have learned the hard way.

I have a Serta brand chair that I absolutely love! I think I payed less than $150 for it at Walmart, I'll see if I can find the link when I get home.

I've heard that the racing style chairs aren't that comfortable for long term use.

Edit: Sorry for being so late, this is essentially the chair I got: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Serta-Executive-Big-Tall-PureSoft-Office-Chair-Smooth-Black/28997854

It's not exactly the same, I'm pretty sure mine was an older version that my local store had on clearance. Regardless, it's extremely comfortable.

Last edited:
Update time!

So my hours got butchered at work. Like, big time. Updates are going to be a great deal slower as I'll have far less money to play with outside of the necessities. I'll keep you guys posted!

Back