• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

***PROJECT SPIDERMAN*** 56k Warning!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DirtMerchant

***PROJECT SPIDERMAN***

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few weeks ago I was thinking up some ideas for a computer I want to build for my girlfriend. Well the time has come to build it. I am now in the progress of working on the design. I have 2 of these cases right now, and you will see why in a bit.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the full list of hardware. All parts were purchased with newegg.com and Xoxide.

Case: LOGISYS Spiderman Blue CS885BL RT $49.99
CPU: 2.6Ghz Pentium 4 (Giving her the one I use now, upgrading to 3.2E) $177.00
Heatsink: Zalman CNPS7000A-CU CPU Cooler $36.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 875P $62.00 refurb :)
PSU: Ultra X-Connect 500W Blue $99.00
Fans: 2 X ASPIRE 120M CF12S-UBL $14.98
Videocard: CHAINTECH GeForce 6800 128 $269.00
CD-RW/DVD Drive: 52x32x52|SAMSUNG TS-H492A/WBGH $37.99
Hard Drive: 120GB|HITACHI 7200R 8MB #14R9202 $85.49
Keyboard &Mouse Combo: Microsoft Multimedia & 5 Button Optical $29.00
RAM: PQI DUAL 512MB(2X256) DDR PC3200 2-2-2-5 $128.00 :)
Monitor: AOC|19" inch CRT 9GLR BEIGE $144.00

Accesories:
UV Blue Vantec PCI/RAM SLOTS PROTECTOR $4.99
Fan Controller: ZALMAN 6 Channel ZM-MFC1 $22.99
10 Pack of Blue Anodized Thumbscrews $2.50
2 X 10"inch UV Blue Sensitive Single Channel IDE Cables $10.00
Cooler Master UV Ultra Aurora Cold Cathode (Dual Kit) $9.99
Xoxide Wire Sleeving Kit UV Blue $8.99
2 X pcToys 80mm Marvel Limited Edition Spiderman Fan Grills

1 X pcToys 120mm Marvel Limited Edition Spiderman Fan Grills

2 sheets of 2' x 4' - 1/8th inch thick Polycarbonate Plexiglass $43.00

Grand total after rounding out is roughly $1,250. That is after adding shipping, extended warranties and other crap, plus a bunch of stuff that I already had on hand.

***The Original Plan***

xoxide_1812_27051313.jpg

Alright. My original plan was pretty modest, but after further consideration I've got to thinking this could be alot better than my original plan. First I was going to try to keep it simple, but simple is never satisfying enough.

Here is the new plan:
  • Cut a fully custom side panel window in the shape of a wicked looking spider.
  • Paint the inside of the case dark red metallic color.
  • Use some billeted metal to hide drive bays on the inside.
  • Paint heatsink fan to glow UV blue.
  • Cut out front 120mm fan grill.
  • Try to hide as many wires as possible.
  • Window mod on DVD ROM drive with Blue LEDs and window on top of case to view through.
  • Attach a Spiderman head to the bottom front bezel and make the eyes glow and flicker with Harddisk activity LEDs.
  • All wires will be UV Blue and Red.
  • Cut out Spiderman eyes over the PSU on top case panel.
  • Stealth drives and add custom switch to the front or side of the case.
  • Paint the front dark red metallic to look more like Spiderman's face.
    maybe more....

***WARNING***

mods1%20013%20(Small).jpg

Always wear protective gear when working with metal and cutting tools like the Dremel. If you don't you will get eyes filled with sharp metal flakes, lungs full of metal dust and if a bit or disc breaks you could get some really nasty cuts. Safety first! Use your head when modding. A safe modder is a happy modder.​

Okay, end of my public message. :)

I recently started messing around with ideas. I wanted to make a spider design over the DVD ROM bay. I thought it would look sick if it was a really cool looking spider design. This way you could look into the design and see the CD spinning thorugh it, sort of like a spider spiining it's web... or something. Well it didn't work out to well. Take a look.

This was the stencil I came up with. Everything covered in masking tape. I didn't take off the top panel because I didn't want to go through the trouble of drilling out the rivets and having to deal with that later.

mods1%20003%20(Small).jpg

Here is where I began cutting out the design. I wasn't aware of how hard it would be to get clean, curved cuts with this new Dremel and the cutting discs I was using. Everything was going as good as I could hope for.

mods1%20010%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20009%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20005%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20006%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20007%20(Small).jpg

Uh oh. Houston we have a problem! Looks like one of my cuts were off a bit, thus weakening then entire design. There would be no way around this flaw, because I knew no matter how hard I tried it would look like total ****. :(

mods1%20008%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20011%20(Small).jpg

Look to the top middle, righthand side of the legs. See how thin the cut made the metal? I couldn't go any further. I would have to do something. I decided to just bypass this idea for now and make up some Spiderman eyes over where the PSU will be mounted.

mods1%20012%20(Small).jpg

Here is how it looks after a rough cut.

mods1%20018%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20019%20(Small).jpg

Not too shabby! Now I had to fix that massacre of a spider design I cut earlier. I decided to go for a straight up window. Man I hate squares. I measured out the shortest lengths that I could and went at it with the Dremel. Let's see what happens.

mods1%20017%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20020%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20016%20(Small).jpg

Not too bad so far, although I am not happy that my little spider design went wrong. I'll have to think of something. For now I whipped out the metal files and got to work cleaning up the rough edges a bit. As you can see I have a bunch of different files for all kinds of purposes. When it comes to modding a good set of files is always great to have around. The rounded one shown below works great. It has a flat egde and a rounded edge. Perfect for working touch burrs and flat edges. All of those scuffs you see are from my grinding bits. I slipped a few times. Doesn't matter because I'm repainting the whole case anyways.

mods1%20034%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20032%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20033%20(Small).jpg

After a little elbow work the edges started to look alot cleaner, but I'm still not feeling the plain old window. :(
Damned evil Dremel.

Closeups of before filing

mods1%20038%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20039%20(Small).jpg

After some light filing work

mods1%20036%20(Small).jpg

mods1%20035%20(Small).jpg

So some of you may be a little disappointed so far. You are probably thinking like me. You're all like "WTF man! That sucks so bad that his spider design got trashed. It looked so cool!". But fear not my friends, because I have another Spiderman case just like this one!!! So if I mess one up, I have a back up.

Here is the best part! This case comes with a premod window on it, which looks so friggin' weak IMHO, but by removing the motherboard side panel from one case, and transplanting it to the other.... I Now have a NON MODIFIED PANEL TO CUT!!!!

So now guess what? Instead of trying to cut that spider design on the top of the case, I am going to cut it on the side panel instead as a custom window mod!

More to come soon fella's!

CandymanCan

Disabled
AWW dude, that spider looked good to me, but youre right, when cutting something like this you need to remember the days of Carving a pumping always leave enough left on the design so it has some stability.

With that Window you cut in thier, you always add some sort or UV glowing strips in thier, they sell some at SVC.com. You can then use those strips to make youre spider design on the actuall window, im sure that will look cool.

Optimus Prime

might i suggest a window etching up there for your cd drive window... it would look great with some led's lighting behind it. you can see my worklog in my sig if you have any questions about what i am talking about. also if you want more info on how-to etch just aim me or pm me.

Prime

OP
DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant

I have been considering some etching. I'm going to try cutting another spider in my backup case. This time I am going to take it slower and cut closer to the inside of the lines rather than following the lines. That is where I made my mistake. I will also wait until the end of all cutting before I do it, so I should have some smaller "worn down" disks to use, for the tight angles.

I'll be posting some more photos in a bit, since I just recieved some stuff in the mail and I also got myself some cool paint.

OP
DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant

Here are some of the newest photos I took today.

This is my new Dremel XPR 400 with the Flexi-Shaft attachment. Goes from 5,000 to 35,000 rpms. This thing kicks ***!

mods2%20004%20(Small).jpg

mods2%20005%20(Small).jpg

Here are some of the supllies I picked up today. I got some tools for cutting 80mm and 120mm holes, some scuff pads and tack cloths and a couple of cans of nice Automotive paint, primer and clearcoat.

mods2%20007%20(Small).jpg

mods2%20010%20(Small).jpg

mods2%20012%20(Small).jpg

Here is the Spiderman head I talked about. It has two lights on the inside. I want to mod this so that some LEDs glow inside when the PC is turned on. I want to either add some straight up LEDs that stay on all the time, or I want to mod it and make them flicker with the Hard Drive activity. My plan is to cut it in half and place it on the lower front of the case. I think it will look badass.

mods2%20018%20(Small).jpg

mods2%20019%20(Small).jpg

mods2%20020%20(Small).jpg

mods2%20021%20(Small).jpg

mods2%20022%20(Small).jpg

Here are the fan grills and cathodes I ordered from www.coolerguys.com. The cathodes were really cheap. Each dual kit was only $6.95 and these particular cathodes put off a really nice UV light, rather than the purpleish light that most others do.

The fan grills are Marvel Comics Limited Edition Spiderman grills. They look awesome and the colors of the front and backing plate are the same color as the paint I got. Schweeeeet!

mods2%20011%20(Small).jpg

depthad

looks like a mod thats going to go right this time. planning normally helps with all mods!

OP
DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant

depthad said:
looks like a mod thats going to go right this time. planning normally helps with all mods!

Yea but my planning always changes. I'm always thinking of better ideas as I go along. Atleast I have thought the general idea through thoroughly.

The Spiderman head will be cut in half and I will be working on the LED mod for the HD activity. It's going to be really neat.

I'll be using some ideas from this tutorial guide here.
http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/hdd_eyez/index_eng

Last edited:
OP
DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant

I got a PM from this guy on [H]ardForums today

hi!
I am a editor working for the bigest hardware magzine in China,and I find your SpiderMan case here,and i like it very much,i really want to print it on our mag. do u have MSN or ICQ,we can talk about it directly .look forward your reply!

I also got my Lexan glass in as well. I'll be posting up some photos later on today. :)

enduro

Awesome job man. Keep the photos rolling. I know how you feel after cutting out that spider with the dremel. I've tried to intricate work with my dremel, but the cutting wheel always digs too deep and messes it up. Good luck with the modding man.

OP
DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant

Okay I got my Lexan in yesterday, so it's all good. I'll be using this for all of my window mods and maybe some etching too.

11-03-04%20003%20(Small).jpg

I got around to cutting a new spider today. My last attempt went bad. This time I did a new stencil and took it really slow. I got some advice from around different forums. As you can see.... it looks awesome. This will be part of my DVD ROM mod.

11-03-04%20005%20(Small).jpg

11-03-04%20004%20(Small).jpg

11-03-04%20007%20(Small).jpg

11-03-04%20008%20(Small).jpg

I also cut out the front 120mm fan grill for better airflow.

11-03-04%20009%20(Small).jpg

11-03-04%20010%20(Small).jpg

My next mission will be to figure out exactly what kind of design I want to cut out on my side panel, while also incorporating 2 X 80mm fans. One fan will blow directly over the CPU and one will blow directly over the PCI slots, most importantly, the AGP slot.

Let me know how you like my new spider design and thanks to all the guys that helped me out with cutting it this time.

Daewood

lookin good...never done any intricut cuts with a dremel but i imagine it would be time consuming and difficult...

OP
DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant

***DVD ROM MODDING***

Alright. I'm doing a drive window mod that will go with the spider design I cut out earlier. Try and imagine what it will look like with some LEDs. There was one slight problem with the DVD ROM drive. The casing was not flat. It had these stamped lines in the metal. I wanted to try cutting a window that was circular, but after taking a look at it I decided I could make a window then paint it on instead. In the end this particular mod is going to look so ****ing PIMP. There will be some serious DVD ROM ownage. I promise.

So this circular thing was under the casing. Apparently when you have a 52X CD burner, disks tend to float a bit. So they added this thing to the drive to keep the disk from moving around. I had to cut this piece out first, because I'll be mounting it on the Lexan later on.

Here is the front and back.

11-04-04%20004%20(Small).jpg

11-04-04%20005%20(Small).jpg

As you can see it has some play in it too. This means that this means that the Lexan I will add later probably will not effect it. What I will do, is later on I will cut a hole into the window where this piece goes, I will mount this piece onto another piece of round Lexan and attach it. Then I will place the larger piece on top, fitting into the hole I cut into the wondow. therefore making it flush just like it was before.

11-04-04%20008%20(Small).jpg

11-04-04%20010%20(Small).jpg

These are the grooves in the metal like I talked about. You can see how this would mess up my window mounting.

11-04-04%20002%20(Small).jpg

11-04-04%20003%20(Small).jpg

This is what I cut out. I did one piece at a time, working my way from the inside out. I promise you this part is going to look awesome when it's finished and it will suprise alot of you. If I was any good with PC graphics I'd show you exactly what I mean. Maybe if I get bored alter I'll draw some kind of rudimentary drawing up.

11-04-04%20006%20(Small).jpg

11-04-04%20007%20(Small).jpg

11-04-04%20001%20(Small).jpg

Here are some photos of my cat "Lil' Dude" for the hell of it. He keeps me company when I mod. He likes to watch. I think he likes watching all of the sparks fly all over the place. :attn: Lil' Dude rocks.

11-04-04%20012%20(Small).jpg

11-04-04%20020%20(Small).jpg

CandymanCan

Disabled
Heh thats a funny pic of the cat in the second photo he probly got blinded by the light and thats why he looks like he is acting cool.

Anyway it looks great so far i like the second spider design much better. All this remindsm e of when i modded my plain old case, adding a window, new fan holes and some design's, painting the whole thing and such. The case was getting old tho so i just got a new case, i wont be modding this $160 baby anytime soon. :sn:

OP
DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant

***Spiderman Head***​

11-05-04%20013%20(Small).jpg

I wanted to see what was under the shroud that was trapped under the plastic mold.[/B]

11-05-04%20014%20(Small).jpg

11-05-04%20003%20(Small).jpg

Stupid light bulbs! :mad: :mad: :mad:

11-05-04%20004%20(Small).jpg

I had to cut through the plastic with a razor in order to get the lightbulbs out of the housing.

11-05-04%20005%20(Small).jpg

11-05-04%20006%20(Small).jpg

This is what they were stuck in. These plastic shrounds, with a semi reflective silver paint.

11-05-04%20010%20(Small).jpg

11-05-04%20012%20(Small).jpg

11-05-04%20008%20(Small).jpg

Next thing I'll be doing with the head is sanding it down so it will mount flush into the front of the case. I'll get to that tommorow.

The next mission today was some drilling and preparing the case for sanding and painting. I drilled out a bunch of rivets in the case. Then I cleaned all of the pieces off with some Fantastik spray, to release any oils or grease. Any alkaline type cleaner will work for that purpose.

11-05-04%20001%20(Small).jpg

11-05-04%20002%20(Small).jpg

I would try to get more work done, but tonight I'm having dinner with my woman (the one I'm making this whole computer for) and then we are going to hang out with the family for our weekly Survivor night.

More to come tommorow!

Last edited:
OP
DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant

Need some help with the LEDs I want to use in the head. I'm wondering how these would work.

http://www.thermalfx.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=T&Product_Code=5UBWHITE

Someone sent me this tutorial, but I'm not very familiar with using this type of stuff.

http://www.metku.net/index.html?sect=view&n=1&path=mods/hdd_eyez/index_eng

Anyone here who is really experienced with custom electronics should help me out. I'm going to use white LEDs and I want them to glow with the HD activity. If not then I will just run them off the main power, but I still need some help in figuring out what type of LEDs to use.

I was just using those LEDs as a reference.

I think it would be really cool if I could have the eyes go from blue (when HD activity occurs) to white (when idle) if that is even possible. Making that happen would probably be a pain in the arse, but who knows. I'm sure someone knows the proper way to get it to work.

And yes I do own a soldering iron. I'm just not experienced with making custom electronics. I've done some simple stuff when I worked in recording studios, but that was vasically de-soldering and re-soldering newer parts. Easy stuff really. This is a totally different ballgame.

Last edited: