• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: water cooler on the cheap.. really cheap.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Valk

Hey all. I usually hang out over in amd cpu and motherboards but I thought i would jaunt over here and get some advice. I did just buy a thermal right sk 7 heat sink... which was epensive but I am still looking ahead to water cooling. ultimatly, I want to have a completly self contained system in my case. but for now.. seeing as how my air cooling is anything buy, a cheapy "take as much space as it wants" system is adequete ;)

I got to think when reading the water cooling sections of this site and stumbled upon pop can block. makes sense, cheap and effective. only issue, is that i cannot find anyone who is willing to sell me a peice of bar stock. short of buying a cold plate and using that (which is a really just a hideious waste of cash), I thought about taking a amd heat sink fan i have from my roomates retail xp 1800 and converting IT into a water cooler block on the cheap. since most of the heat sink uses 90º angles, sealing a box around it would not be terribly difficult with epoxy.

just a thought. what have some of you done on the cheap? I also have to take into account which kind of pump to use, the type of tubing (which i found some really nice acrylic tubing at home depot today) and of course, the heat exchanger. I can get pre coiled copper pipe for like $6 a 8 ft roll. suggestions? I have a rubbermade tub at my disposal as well.

how about this stipulation? a max cost of $50 us for the whole thing?
makes things interesting and gets the creative juices flowing.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
50 is too low, especially canadian money. if you want to do the popcan block, i say dont... get yourself a copper end cap like a 1.5inch end cap or a 2inch end cap and solder your barbs and base plate to it..

OP
Valk

Valk

Well, if i was at home, I would just say frig it and go work on my dads mill for a while. unfortunatly, i dont have any kind of special tools right now.

redPEPPER

So you're saying you're not in the best conditions to do it right, and are willing to attempt to do it wrong instead? :p
Hmm, okay, it's your computer.

JFettig knows what he's saying about the pop can block, as he invented it. The copper end cap is pretty similar, if I'm not mistaken the main difference is that everything is soldered instead of epoxied. Supposedly much more reliable. It probably outperforms the pop can block too, but if you want to go cheap that doesn't really matter :p

I think a bong will be cheaper than a rad. Or you seem to have all it takes to make this if you don't mind the ghetto look.

Tubing doesn't really matter if you don't care about fashion.

You'll need a pump anyway, and I'm not sure going cheap there is a good idea, as your whole system will rely on it for cooling. You might very well blow your $50 on the pump alone :p

OP
Valk

Valk

true enough. the system i want to build would cost in excess of $400 which is a little excessive. but might be fun to experiment. I dont intend to use any home made water system for entended periods of time. im just bored and want to build somthing. on the other hand... i wonder if it would be possible to beat my temps which im getting on air right now with water.