• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prolimatech Compound Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKershner

Registered
I contacted Prolimatech requesting some thermal compound that I could review in comparison to Tuniq TX-2 and informed that they were sending 3 types of TIM to review; PK-1, PK-2 and PK-3

Applying all Prolimatech products were found to be easy to spread and control without using too much or needing to add more after spreading using the TIM Spreader which is included with the PK-2 and PK-3 syringe. The TIM Spreader included is a bit wider and longer then a SIM card used in phones that appears to be made out of a very thin cardboard material making it effective to spread the application but very flexible and would imagine it wouldn't last a long time after countless uses.

PK-1

PK-1 was found to be a little difficult to spread as I had received the 1g packet and attempting to squeeze enough TIM for a proper layer was guessing; however, once it was dispersed onto the die, I found it easy to spread. I was a little concerned about the amount included and the way the product had to be squeezed out as the AMD chip is larger then Intel.

Electrically conductive/capacitive:No
Burn-in Required:No
Appearance:Grey
Corrosive:No
Adhesiveness:310,000 Cps
Thermal Conductivity:10.2 W/mK
Specific Gravity:3.2g/cm^2
Dielectric Constant:2 KV/mm
Thermal Inpedance:0.017c in^2/W
Tube Volume:Available in 1g, 5g and 30g

PK-2

PK-2 was the next compound to be tested under a high temp environment and was found to be easier to apply using a syringe based giving more control of how much is applied and covered the entire cpu die. The grey color seemed to make it very easy to tell if it was spread evenly and a thorough layer was applied.

Adhesiveness:250,000 Cps
Thermal Conductivity:10.2 W/mK
Specific Gravity:2.5g/cm^3
Dielectric Constant:2.5 KV/mm
Thermal Inpedance:0.015c in^2/W

PK-3

After researching Prolimatech's thermal products, I couldn't wait to try their PK-3 based on the specifications given. Just as PK-2, PK-3 was found to be of a paste and very easy to control where it went even being applied using it's included spreader. After performing the test on PK-3, the block had a good bond on the die and had to be carefully worked off by moving around to release the bond without pulling the cpu out of its socket.

Adhesiveness:330,000 Cps
Thermal Conductivity:11.2 W/m C
Specific Gravity:2.7g/cm^3
Dielectric Constant:5 KV/mm
Thermal Inpedance:0.013c in^2/W

PK-3 PK-2 PK-1 Tuniq TX-2
Ambient 20 20 22 22
Idle 24 25 25 26
Load 60 59 63 64

Test information
Ambient temps were monitored by temp probes off the NZXT SENTRY2 fan controller, one probe was placed in ice water to determine that it was correctly calculated to 0c and another probe was mounted inches away from the front intake fan. The Compound was tested on an overclocked FX-6300 @ 4.8 GHZ. Core temps were monitored by Core Temp 1.0 RC4 64-bit with a T.J. Max of 95c.

All tests were done within an 8 hour period and both the cpu block and die was cleaned with rubbing alcohol to remove previously applied compound before conducting the next test.

Prolimatech Official Website

Hardware Used
NZXT M59
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX-6300
Thermaltake 600w
AlphaCool Water kit w/ 120 rad
Dual DC-LT pumps
G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600(2x8GB)
AMD Entertainment Ed. 1600 (2x4GB)
EVGA 550ti 2GB​

Attachments