• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proper method for lapping, what is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twofan

Registered
I am going to lap my new Glac and I want to make sure I do it right. I have only had to lap one hsf before, and Orb (I know) and I just used sandpaper on a flat surface until it was flat and uniform. I figure that I will start on the Glac with say 300 and then go over it with 600 until flat and uniform. I have read how you don't want a mirror finish just flat. Is this the right way and if not what is? Thanks for your help

I used some tough 300 grit sandpaper to start...the i busted out my moms nail files....she had these finishing files that were great....botttom line is do it with one grit until it cant get any smoother...until there isnt much resistance at all..then move to a smoother one. i polished mine with some cloth cause metal was everywhere. one big thing i think is to look for the grooves in the bottom...these need to be sanded flat. took me about an hour of watching tv and constant sanding before i got mine completely flat. i saw a temp drop of approximatley 5c/10f. apply a thin layer using a brush of thermal grease and you should be set.

Twofan (Jun 27, 2001 10:16 p.m.):
I am going to lap my new Glac and I want to make sure I do it right. I have only had to lap one hsf before, and Orb (I know) and I just used sandpaper on a flat surface until it was flat and uniform. I figure that I will start on the Glac with say 300 and then go over it with 600 until flat and uniform. I have read how you don't want a mirror finish just flat. Is this the right way and if not what is? Thanks for your help

The most important thing is to keep it flat, like on a piece of glass or something. Sand both directions to keep it uniform. The debate is still out on whether a mirror finish is desirable. I sanded my waterblock with 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dray sand paper used dry. Needless to say I had a mirror finish, and my temps are great. I may have had the same result if I had stopped at 600 grit, but I had the paper and the time, so I figured what the heck.

Back