• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Protecting your processor from condensation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neptune

Sup guyz, I'm going to put a 172 watt pelt on my bird and have everything i need to give it ago, but i'm not so sure how to proct my CPU core and resistors from condensation. I made a shim out of 1/16" neopreme, but it still seems to thick... i tried pushing the copper coldplate on it but it wouldn't quite get the needed pressure on the core. For those of you who are running Pelted T-Birds, what are you using to seal the chip in?

I'v got a PIII 733 with an 80watt pelt and had a fun time making a mess to get mine condensation free.

I praticaly encased the whole thing in silicone.

-filled in the center of the socket with silicone then put a thin piece of neoprine foam over it.

- put dielectric grease in the cpu pin holes

- sealed the base of the socket with silicone

- put the chip on

- put the cold plate and peltier on.

- put my bracket on and put pressure down on the peltier.

- filled all the way arround the setup with silicone right to the sides of the peltier. Then I put on my water block, and filled up to the bottom of that with silicone. I made sure that there was a solid wall of slicone all the way up form the motherboard to the base of the waterblock. I was parinoied.

- Then I made it look nicer by puting neoprine arround all the silicone and arround any close bye resistors.

- sprayed the back of the main board with some clear coat spray paint.

- put some silicone over all the little socket pins that stick out the back and slaped a piece of neoprine over that too.

zoopa_man pretty much covered it. I would add some confromal coating to the exposed circuitry on the CPU. The four feet on the CPU are about .065" thick while 1/16" neoprene measures .055". In addition the neoprene has a lower Index of Load Deflection so your block should not have a hard time compressing it. Before you fire up your system, install the block with a thin layer of thermal grease on the CPU. Then remove it to check for proper contact.

Here is a pic of my CPU installed in the socket.

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=51738695[/URL]"]

Here is a pic of the 1/16" neoprene "CPU Blanket"

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=51738692[/URL]"]

One more thing, be sure to put some conformal coating and neoprene insultation on the motherboard behind the CPU socket.

I might as well post pics of the block too.

Note the 1/16" neoprene in this pic is the same (read only!) piece in the "CPU Blanket" pic. Photopoint is responsible for the garbage in the upper left hand corner. Sometimes it takes 20 trys to upload one photo. You can also see the proper imprint of a CPU making good contact with the block.

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=50217756[/URL]"]

Block mounted on motherboard.

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=51743929[/URL]"]

I will be doing the same thing tonight, but have not purchased the silicone or the dialectric grease yet. Are these usually found at Radio Shack, or Wal-Mart?

BTW thanks for the pics, they help a newbie like me tremendously!
My system:
1.4@1500 <<will be more after the 156w Pelt install
water cooled <<2 radiators, the 2nd one made all the difference
1.3 gigs o ram
ASUS A7A266 1.005
GF 3

For some reason the dielectric grease always makes me uneasy, whats the proper way to apply it to the socket?

btw I found dielectric grease at Pep Boys, hope its the right kind!

-Rav

What I did was smear a bunch of it over top the holes, Then used my finger to push it down in. I kept aplying some to the top and pushing it down in with my finger until I saw it squish out the bottom of the socket or it looked like I couldn't get any more in. The best method is either a streight down pushing motion or rubing accrost the holes. As long as it's in there your all good. All it's for is to fill the air space with the grease. And I guess it helps against corrosion. The water on your cpu pins would cause rust and corrosion that kind of gunk. So the die electric grease keeps the air off so none of that happens.

My concern was that the grease would block the pin connections between the CPU and the socket, but I guess the CPU pins go in with enough preasure when you lock it down that its not a problem. This stuff isnt conductive right? Thats the point?

-Rav

killem1x1 - Standard clear Dow household silicone glue works. You can thin in with naphtha (lighter fluid works) and apply it with a brush but this takes 24 hours to cure. Permatex Blue works well and cures in two hours. My favorite is Aqua Seal liquid urethane rubber with Cotal hardener. It’s easy to apply, can be mixed to cure in less than an hour and is ideal for gluing the neoprene insulation to your motherboard. Aqua Seal is used to repair wetsuits and waders. It can be found at dive shops, surf shops and fishing shops. Dielectric grease is availble at any automotive or hardware store.

you didn't put the down corning conformal stuff on the die did you?

Colin (Jul 19, 2001 03:16 p.m.):
zoopa_man pretty much covered it. I would add some confromal coating to the exposed circuitry on the CPU. The four feet on the CPU are about .065" thick while 1/16" neoprene measures .055". In addition the neoprene has a lower Index of Load Deflection so your block should not have a hard time compressing it. Before you fire up your system, install the block with a thin layer of thermal grease on the CPU. Then remove it to check for proper contact.

Here is a pic of my CPU installed in the socket.

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=51738695[/URL]"]

Here is a pic of the 1/16" neoprene "CPU Blanket"

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=51738692[/URL]"]

sentania (Jul 20, 2001 12:20 p.m.):
No, only on the ceramic plate the CPU die is mounted on. If you look closely at the pic, you will see there is a gap of about .05 of an inch between the CPU die and the Aqua Seal. What you see on the core is a sloppy application of Arctic Silver.

Colin (Jul 20, 2001 12:31 p.m.):
sentania (Jul 20, 2001 12:20 p.m.):
No, only on the ceramic plate the CPU die is mounted on. If you look closely at the pic, you will see there is a gap of about .05 of an inch between the CPU die and the Aqua Seal. What you see on the core is a sloppy application of Arctic Silver.
okay, I was like is this guy nuts or something?

If I decided to place the peltier on without "sealing" everything. Would I be in an immediate danger of condensation. (I understand this will vary depending on humidity etc.)

Back