• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Proud new owner of i7-4790K and Asus Z87 Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brutal-Force

Hello fellow OC'ers,

Just thought I would drop by to thank such a wonderful website for all the information you provide us.

I just upgraded to a i7-4790K and Asus Z87 Pro Motherboard. I picked it up as a combo on the egg for $369 after rebate and $10 off Paypal.

I was able to set the CPU Voltage at 1.25 and Multipliers to X46 according to this guide, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...uide-to-Overclock-Your-i7-i5-Haswell-Platform

I ran AIDA64 for 30 min. and the temps never went above 70 degrees C. I thought that was a little weird considering the "temperature problems" these chips are supposed to have, but then beggars can't be choosers.

I spent most of the day re installing software and such so I haven't gotten a real chance to play around with it. Once I get BF4 up and running we will see if I can see a really big difference from my mildly overclocked i7-860.

The performance sure is snappy, but I don't know if its just a placebo effect or because I reinstalled windows. Time will tell, but so far I am impressed.

Thanks again, OCForums

Definitely because the 4790K is roughly twice as fast as the 860 in both single threaded and multi threaded performance.

To be honest, I scoured the net for some real world comparisons, but every comparison was for Ivy Bridge or better. I am glad I did it. I don't foresee needing another CPU upgrade for another 5 years.

Maybe I can dig up some old screen shots to show the comparisons.

I ran AIDA64 for 30 min. and the temps never went above 70 degrees C. I thought that was a little weird considering the "temperature problems" these chips are supposed to have, but then beggars can't be choosers.

If you stress with AIDA64 and only check the FPU box you'll get higher temps...

Also if you stress with Prime v28.5 small fft or blend and it starts stressing with the "FMA3" the temps can get very hot! Prime v27.9 doesn't have the latest avx instructions and will run ~10C. cooler.

Ran System Stability Test AIDA 64 for 30 min. Stress CPU/FPU/Cache/System Memory

Speed is 4800 MHz 48 Multi, 100MHz Bus, Voltages are at 1.298V, Temps about 55-70°, but average about 65° (Max. hit 75°).

Pleasantly surprised.

Ok, I dropped voltages to 1.288V at 4800MHz.

Ran Passmark 8.0 and got a CPU Mark Score of 12369 which puts it just behind a i7 5820k @ stock speeds. Not a whole lot of info on i7 5820k overclocking, but the few I have seen say they are about 4.8GHz on water, so it would have a nice little bump.

That being said, I am very pleased with this chip. 4.8 straight out of the box at under 1.3V. I will try a little tweaking later, then on to benchmark scores, still testing real world applications, but yes... it does feel faster, maybe not twice as fast, but it does feel a little faster.

Back