• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS Question for SFX/microatx owners !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h0mersimps0n

I'm in the process of filling a micro-atx case someone gave me and was wondering if anyone was running the Giga-byte GA-7VKML board with a Athlon 1700+?

If so what PS do you have? I anticipated getting a 1600+ but I got my hands on a 1700+ for $89/free shipping and I couldn't pass it up.

along with the giga-byte board I'm going to be using a 200W Enhance microatx (sfx) powersupply model ENP-2120H

PLEASE don't give me the AMD site link because I've been to the AMD site and they only rate my board up to the 1600+.

I'm going to be using onboard video, sound, ethernet, so no extra taxing video cards or anything...

THink I'll have a lot of trouble?

thanks guys!!!!!

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
200 watts is all you will probably be able to find in a micro atx. The 5v rail will probably be the weak link for a psu like that. You might open the psu and check to see if it has potentiometers for adjusting the 12v and 5v line. Be carefull if you open it; those capacitors kill! If you still want a micro atx case but want a good psu try an Inwin V500. The inwin takes a standard atx PSU even though its a micro atx case.

OP
H

h0mersimps0n

Bender, thanks man...

the problem is the micro-atx case I have was given to me for FREE, its an old HP case that I wanted to salvage....

So you think I'm gonna have problems? The thing is AMD says that a company called DEER (or something like that) makes a 200W that supports the 1700+ but the Enhance 200W only up to 1600+...

Last problem is, I've already ordered the 1700+ and enhance 200W.... I was just hoping that someone could make me feel better about the purchases or set me up for the disappointment I should expect from trying to get it to work...

anyone else?

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
The AMD list of reccomended PSUs is by no means comprehensive. Give the psu a try and use something like Motherboard monitor 5 to monitor your voltages. I have a 250 watt PSU running my 8KHA+ with an XP1800 (1533MHz) @ 1805 MHz and it works fine. I guess I do have the potentiometers tweaked and it is a high quality sparkle PSU but I'm still supprized it works.