• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps2 DVD replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Footba_SWAT5420

i know this isnt EXACTLY aobut computers but i figured this is the place to ask. does anyone know if i can replace my ps2 dvd drive with just a standard one form my computer. the problem is that i droped my ps2 and i get a disk read error when i play games (only DVDs CDs work fine). i can usualy PLAY the game but withing a few minutes it locks up. to get it fixed it costr 100 dollars plus shipping and handling. does any1 know if this is possible?

You'll need to check the connections on the back of the PS2 drive. If you see a 44-pin ribbon connector, you might be able to swap in a laptop DVD drive. If you see a 40-pin ribbon connector and a molex connector, you might be able to swap in a standard DVD drive.

There's no way to know without looking at the original equipment.

WEll since your hard ware is already faulty you would be the prime person to let us know. My guess is no it wont work. However, I heard that PS2 and Xbox will become 149.99 soon so maybe its time for a ps2 mod.

I've done a lot of PS2 stuff (Neo chip, Magic 2 chip, Magic 3 chip, fan repair). I am sorry, but you cannot use a regular DVD drive. PS2 will be dropped to $150 on whatever day E3 is so you might wanna just wait and buy a whole new one and ebay your PS2 as slightly broken. THere are people who will buy it and fix it themselves.

I find it odd that it will play DVD and CD but not games. If it plays both that means the laser is working ok. Something integral to the PS2 or bios may have been damaged.

Anyways, here's another link for repair parts:

http://www.richspsxparts.com/psx2.html

i figured that the reason i couldnt play dvds was because there are 2 lenses 1 for cd and 1 for dvd. but i realize now that thats not correct. damnit i could kill myself for dropping it. o get this. after about my 3rd day of owning it my mom was carying and droped it form about 5 feet up onto the marble floor and nothing happened. a year later i drop it a half foot onto carpet and it breaks.:rolleyes:

Footba_SWAT5420 said:
my mom was carying and droped it form about 5 feet up onto the marble floor and nothing happened.
Dang.. if she dropped it 5 feet... how tall is she?

from the description i'm guessing at least 8 feet. :p

lol i'm just messin w/ ya.

hey bro, replied to the PM you sent me. that should get you started in the right direction at least.

Back