• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3: Burnout-Paradise compared to Need For Speed-Undercover

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Hey everyone,
I just bought both these games for my PS3. Right off the bat let me say that Need For Speed: Undercover, is one of the worst games I have ever played and Burnout: Paradise, probably one of the best if not the best!

Alot of people here and some other sites have been bragging how cool Need For Speed is and that they bought the PS3 just for this game? Ugh....really? I've only played a few minutes of prior versions of both games years ago so mabe there must be some appeal to people loyal to the name? Here are some pro's and cons of both games.

Burnout: Paradise :beer: :)

Pros:
1. Completely smooth gameplay, no screen stutter (except on the opening credits) and no matter how fast you go, the PS3 can keep up.
2. Amazing soundtrack! (Especially the classical music!!) Over 40 hours into the game and just now I'm getting a little tired of hearing the songs repeat.
3. Very open ended, lots of things to do. You have many different types of missions from a simple race, to destroying other cars, to you being a target, to simply getting the fastest time on a street. When that is done, you can find ways to destroy every sign and yellow fence for special cars.
4. Amazing jumps! Cool crash camera work, (looks like Battlestar Galactica).
5. Hidden arenas and areas to mess around with other people online.
6. Random cars make it so you can travel down the same street and see different cars driving at different times.
7. You can set the time of day or have it match what the real time is.
8. There are cars that work well for certain missions and its not just one car does pretty much everything.
9. The city is set up like a real city and is extremely well designed.
10. Cool announcer and you can adjust the sound levels for music, announcer, and car sounds.
11. No real load times... I never waited for more then 2 seconds for anything.
12. Many different areas of the city to visit! Mountains, harbor, docks, airfields, city, tunnels, train tracks... awesome!
13. The cost... I paid $19.99 at Frys electronics for this game.
14. This game looks simply amazing on my 106" High Def movie screen! Absolutely stunning!!

Cons:
1. Cars like the GT500 immediately come to mind... Any car that fishtails constantly annoys me. Just a few cars like this you'll have trouble going in a straight line.
2. I don't like having to press Brake and Gas at the same time to start a race. (It's the same motion to drift)
3. This version is missing the pure destruction missions from the earlier Burnout I remember playing...
4. Not too much reaction with the enviroment besides the things you are allowed to destroy. (A small parking block is as strong as a brick wall when you crash into it.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Need for Speed: Undercover
(I gave this game the 'gayest' color on the color chart...)

Pros:
1. Escaping from the cops is cool. (until that becomes repetative and boring after the first few races.)
2. Lots of real cars that you can customize every little detail.
3. You can start a mission from anywhere at any time.
4. You can react slightly with the enviroment to knock stuff down on your enemies.

Cons: :mad::bang head
1. Where do I begin?? Terrible gameplay. Very repetative and not much difference from mission to mission.
2. This game is extremely choppy! Like playing a low FPS MMORPG, UGH
3. Pretty much every car fishtails... (Maybe the super expensive cars later on are better but 20 hours in and I have yet to find one.)
4. The graphics are horrible. Only your car looks decent at best and everything else looks pretty bad or really bad.
5. The game is not open ended... You are stuck on a track that you cant get off of even though there are other cars on the road that are travelling through walls?? The other races where you have more freedom every area is pretty much the same.
6. My roommate paid $60 for this POS game.
7. Load times are super extra long!!
8. The game is buggy and has crashed 3 times in 20 hours for no reason?
9. The music just plain sucks.
10. The storyline is pandering to "Ghetto" crowd which has as much appeal to me as 8 year old rap video...nobody cares.
11. There are very little cars and things in the city... It's one big empty place and everywhere looks the same.
12. The jumps are lame.
13. For some reason the sun is always in your eyes making it extremely hard to see!! (Program in some visors or sunglasses!!)
14. Sometimes when you hit a car (from any direction) it's like they have a huge magnet inside and you get sorta stuck to them for a second...argh.
15. This game looks terrible and hazy on my 106" screen and I cant see how it would look good on a smaller screen.
16. I can easily go on... Basically this game is not worth my time to write anything else about it. It just plain sucks. :temper:

I'm about 70% completed with the whole game for Burnout... I'm not sure if I want to dedicate the endless hours it takes trying to get the game's final "Elite License" by beating every single challenge at the hardest skill level? I just don't have the time but I really enjoyed playing the game so far.

As for NFS, I'll never touch the game again unless my roommate who bought it wants help beating a level or something.

I didn't like Burnout at all myself. Isn't Undercover a bit older than Paradise? Wouldn't it be more fair to compare it to the upcoming Shift? I'm not a big fan of NFS either btw.

I won't touch either game. There's GRID for guys like me. :D

Well, okay, maybe I'll try burnout. I know I got the demo somewhere...

Back