• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3: Is RAM upgradable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Turok 2 required the RAM upgrade to play better I did noticed a slight change in graphics the memory Pak its self upgraded the onboard memory from 2mb to 4mb. Ninty was supposed to release a 6 & 8mb soon after but canned it as the N64 DD add-on was scrapped in America and Europe as it was only released in Japan via mail order.

Thanks for the replies all!

freakdiablo said:
It is a good concept though. As technology improves, upgrade your favorite console along side your main rig.

That's pretty much what I was thinking... though obviously upgrading a console (in my thinking) would pretty much be limited to HDD and RAM... Upgrading the processor or graphics portions would pretty much make it a new console. :)

All-in-all it is a bit disappointing that the PS3 engineers were forward thinking enough to allow HDD upgrades, but not RAM upgrades.

Thanks again for the replies!

Cheers,
Keith.

well, Ive seen a few people replace hard drives in an xbox, its just that I think the hdd contains the authentication code (or something) and when the hdd was replaced they couldnt access xbox live. Cant say I blame them though, the original was only 8 gigs, and if Im going to have only 8 gigs of storage Im getting a ram drive.

hUMANbEATbOX said:
if you read the link in post #7, you'll find that (according to that source anyways) Donkey Kong 64 was the first game to bundle it.

Perfect Dark was available with and without the ram expansion. That is where i got mine. i had my little brother dig the box outta storage at my mother home.

while perfect dark didn't "require" it, like said before, 80% of the game was unavailable without it. sure you could fire up perfect dark without it, but you would be missing out on 80% of the game.

Donkey Kong 64 *DEMANDS* an expansion pack. If you try to play Donkey Kong 64 without an expansion pack, you will be blocked from playing the game!

Perfect Dark, unlike Donkey Kong 64 don't demand an expansion pack to play it, but it will be crippled. You're probably gonna be blocked from accessing many levels.

There isn't a reduced functionability mode in Donkey Kong 64, AFAIK!

Last edited:
Its all pointless if Devs are developing for the lesser ammount of ram. Unless its hacked and the information is handled in a different manner, but thats a lot of work for very little improvement.

freakdiablo said:
It is a good concept though. As technology improves, upgrade your favorite console along side your main rig.

AMEN to that.

Back in the day you used to be able to upgrade your video memorywithout buying a new card.

I recall my dads old ISA card, having the OLD style bug looking ICs that you could good upgrade, and even more recently the dell, uh...GX100? Allowed you to double the VRAM by adding a sodimm on the motherboard.

Would love to see that happen now :)

Got a few more ideas too on the pooor ATX design also needs a real revamp

You cannot upgrade and I am glade for that. If you could upgrade the ram then some games would require it, and as such if you wanted to play them you would have to buy both the game and more ram. The beauty of a console in my mind is that once I have it I know for a fact that every game put out for it will work. Also the N64 expansion was required for some games such as Perfect Dark, Duke Nukem 3D, ect.

It is possible to upgrade the RAM on the PS3 but you will need the following tools listed below and a good head on your shoulders.

00927320000-1

wire-solder-SN100C-NC601.jpg

peanut_butter_salmonella1.jpg

banana.jpg

hacksaw.jpg

You will also need about $350USD to replace your PS3 after you attempt to upgrade your current one.

what about a system like ready boost being made possible?

A good question indeed. I rather like ready boost in vista and windows 7. Something akin to that on the console would be quite interesting indeed. Especially with right now and how Valve cant do all the class updates for the console versions of TF2. Add a USB stick of ram, and viola! More capacity for things like that.

Apparently the newer slim models have 70MB more RAM due to the XMB now having its' own dedicated memory. Not sure that it really matters but..... :shrug:

Apparently the newer slim models have 70MB more RAM due to the XMB now having its' own dedicated memory. Not sure that it really matters but..... :shrug:

really??

I did a quick search, and couldn't find anything on that.

All I could find was that newer firmware versions reserved less RAM for the XMB, leaving more RAM free for developers to use in their games.

No. ALL PS3s have 70MB more RAM due to streamlining the XMB... not to any dedicated memory for that purpose.

Last edited:
I will be ****ed if manufacturers start putting out accessories to upgrade your consoles. Next thing we know, we can start adjusting resolution settings. Then we have to upgrade by buying a $600 video card to upgrade a $300 console in order to play at the highest resolution, AA, AF settings.

4 year old thread!

the hard drive is upgradable in PS3, well the old one was, i assume the slim one is as well.
360's is as well but in a different, more expencive and stupid manner... officially

4 year old thread!

the hard drive is upgradable in PS3, well the old one was, i assume the slim one is as well.
360's is as well but in a different, more expencive and stupid manner... officially

FYI, the discussion is about the memory RAM, not about HD.

Back