• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 -Like it or not, here come the 3D games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

whooping_a_panda

Mr Slave Senior
well this would certainly cut back on piracy of video games....

ho ho ho...what with all the eye patches and all......was it really that bad?

zexmarquies01

http://www.gamingunion.net/news/littlebigplanet-getting-the-3d-treatment--890.html

FYI: One of my comrades tells me that the Sony Style store in Cincinnati has a demo of it up and running. I may wander that way this weekend.

If they do have a demo up and running, tell us about it! I want to know how well it works, and if it causes eye strain and headaches like the virtual boy did. Hopefully it's working fine when you try it, just as long as all the 12 year olds haven't broken it yet......( /me looks at every gamestop and walmart demo machine )

But also remember, Blu-ray ( and the PS3 ) are getting 3D movies as well. Blu-ray is getting 3D, as new models, and firmware updates will play 3D movies. We will be getting 3D games on the PS3 first, then later in the year, the PS3 will get 3D movies.

Question though, Do 3D movies and Games require a 120Hz TV still? If so, then that will suck, because even though I have a nice LCD TV, it's not 120Hz, and I don't see myself updating my TV for a while...at least, not until there's enough incentive, or prices of 120Hz drops.

OP
F

FudgeNuggets

If they do have a demo up and running, tell us about it! I want to know how well it works, and if it causes eye strain and headaches like the virtual boy did. Hopefully it's working fine when you try it, just as long as all the 12 year olds haven't broken it yet......( /me looks at every gamestop and walmart demo machine )

But also remember, Blu-ray ( and the PS3 ) are getting 3D movies as well. Blu-ray is getting 3D, as new models, and firmware updates will play 3D movies. We will be getting 3D games on the PS3 first, then later in the year, the PS3 will get 3D movies.

Question though, Do 3D movies and Games require a 120Hz TV still? If so, then that will suck, because even though I have a nice LCD TV, it's not 120Hz, and I don't see myself updating my TV for a while...at least, not until there's enough incentive, or prices of 120Hz drops.

Yes they do require 120hz. I will go check it out Saturday for sure and report back.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
Think anything 3D with displays currently require the 120Mhz. And think thats mostly with helping reduce eye strain.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
No it's because it simultaneously displays 2 images at 60hz each.

Didn't older ones use only 30hz per eye though? Think you ment to say it displays images back to back flip flopping between each eye for 60hz each eye, for 120hz total.

OP
F

FudgeNuggets

Well, I checked it out today and the Little Big Planet wasn't playable it was just a 3D trailer for it. There was one for Wipeout 3D as well. It was running off of a Blu-Ray disc in the PS3.

Here's the details and suckage:

1. REQUIRES a 3DTV or a 3D-Ready one (one with a 3D jack)
2. REQUIRES wireless glasses sold separately (expensive)
3. Firwmare update will enable the 3D option on the PS

It looked really nice. The 3D was done well. However, the demo was on a 42 or 46 inch TV and honestly the effect just isn't as cool as it is on a giant theater screen.

TommyHolly

I think I will run up to the Sony store in Glenview inside the "Abt" and check the demo out. Great find! I liked Little Big Planet alot. (especially the music which is always going through my head lately) 3D would be perfect for that game.