• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 slim 120gb recall ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Naked Mole Rat

My wife called me from Best Buy and the guy said there is a recall on the PS3 slim 120GB that we just purchased last week and that they are not even selling them (I see on BB's site they aren't available for shipping though not sure if that has anything to do with it).

Any truth to this? Can't seem to google any info on this.

just to clarify: my wife was at the store to purchase a 120GB Slim when they said there is a massive recall and they are taking them off the shelves and can only sell the 250GB.

Due to a hard drive failure, they are only selling the 250GB.

I'm pretty cynical, but I can't beleive a BB rep would make this up just to sell 250's over 120's. But I wouldn't be surprised.

Have you tried checking the Playstation forums? I was looking around there trying to figure out the best way to stream HD videos to my 60GB release model, and noticed quite a few YLOD threads posted up there. I think a hard drive failure will cause the YLOD, among other hardware issues.

I just searched the ps3 underground network forums and didn't find much on it. There are the usual "ps3 broken" threads, but no one yet saying if there is a recall. If you really want to know, call sony. 1-800 number whatever it is and go to technical support. Probably a long hold time, but worth it if you're worried enough.

I've got a 120GB slim, but I can't find anything on an official recall. Not really worried, but I guess I better back up my saves.

I've got a 120GB slim, but I can't find anything on an official recall. Not really worried, but I guess I better back up my saves.

I got one too and mine works fine. MW2 would freeze for a while but I think that was the game because it was updated and not a problem since.......

One night I left it on all night too in not the best spot for ventilation and I haven't had any problems.

no problems with my 120G so far, if the HD dies can i not just install a new one and be on my way....

I doubt if there was a recall. I just left Best Buy. They had plenty of them. Your store probably just ran out and the guy wanted to sell your wife a 250.

I would IMMEDIATELY upgrade the hard drive on whatever PS3 you get. 500 gig drives are going to be dirt cheap after the hollidays. Better to upgrade now and avoid the (admittedly small) hassle of backing up and restoring the drive when you upgrade.

I was lucky because I only had 40 gigs to backup and restore...

Back