• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nyrlath

I have a small old VAIO flex ATX, and I think the power supply died. When I plug it in the PSU is making a funny high pitched noise and the machine wont turn on.
Is it most likely dead? Ive checked all the connections, seems fine. The machine was working fine yesterday.

Dissolved

try running the psu w/o it plugged in to anything..
get a paper clip and connect to blk cables in the mobo conector to power it.. that sound is probly comming from the fan burning up. Hoot is da man to ask, but i think if the fan is going out, the psu maybe overheating, or its just going bad.

stool

Unplug your PSU, then jumper it like this;
plug.gif . This will let you know if the PSU is the problem.

Dissolved

good job, i should of posted a pic, but after 2 10hr stright days on the forums, ive been rather lazy today :)

i did that psu mod on my other psu, i used different grounds and its worked fine.. been running my rad fans for 2 months no prob.

OP
N

Nyrlath

What exactly does wiring the PSU to itself do for me? What supposed to happen???

Nyrlath...

stool

If the PSU still works, it will fire itself up when wired like that and the PSU switch turned on. If the fan doesn't start, or perhaps a fan plugged into a molex connector, after you jump it, the odds are very good that the PSU is a goner.

Hoot

Inactive Moderator
GigaFrog said:
The high pitched noise may be the switcher that oscillates in audible frequencies (should be higher than audible) because something is wrong.

PC power supply repair Maybe this will help?

That's an excellent link! Another stunning example of what you can find if you take the time to look around. Too many people want the answer "spoon fed" to them without trying to find it themselves.

Hoot

OP
N

Nyrlath

Sorry to be 'spoon fed' but I was in a jam, and needed to find answers fast. Sometimes even after you search, you dont find what you need...

Thanks for the info though everyone.