• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for 3x8 PCIe 3070ti Strix?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregers05

Just upgraded to a 3070ti Asus Strix from a GTX960 Strix without really doing much research. Aside from massively underestimating the size of this card (old Antec 900 case not going to cut it), I did not realize it requires three 8 pin PCIe cables. I currently have a EVGA Supernove 650GS PSU, which only has two 6+2 connectors. Looking for something that has 3 x 8 PCIe in maybe 850w. Looking to keep it as close to $100 as possible but still modular. Whats the best option?

Was going to say, it's tough to get a high-quality unit for that price and wattage. The 750GQ will do the job....but it isn't great... and not garbo. I do think it's a higher-quality unit than the GS* models though.

There's a 750W Seasonsic Prime unit at Newegg for $130... or 750w evga g5....if you can swing that.............

I would steer clear of the GQ line. I had several EVGA 1000w GQ units that were garbage. Worst line EVGA ever put out. That 3070Ti will bring it to it's knees. My 3080 12G would just keep crashing with the 1K GQ junkbox.
I remember your thread about the rma hell & that PSU, but forgot (or missed) that it was the GQ line.
Yes, stay away!

oh BOY.............. that was your model... STEY EHWEIGH!!!!!! :rofl:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I remember your thread about the rma hell & that PSU, but forgot (or missed) that it was the GQ line.
Yes, stay away!
Yeah, 3 units (1 refurbished and 2 brand new ones) and they all exhibited the same exact behaviors with the exception of one. No sooner I press the power button on the case, rig boots up and no sooner I put a tiny load on it ( browsing), the rig would crash. One unit actually gave me like 5 minutes of service before it too failed and the rig crashed. Worse psu ever made.

I would recommend the 850 P6 (sig). Extremely well built and solid. Or the 850 G6 which is supposed to be the better unit between the two; linky for review

Last edited:
Was going to say, it's tough to get a high-quality unit for that price and wattage. The 750GQ will do the job....but it isn't great... and not garbo. I do think it's a higher-quality unit than the GS* models though.

There's a 750W Seasonsic Prime unit at Newegg for $130... or 750w evga g5....if you can swing that.............
If I want to OC would 750W still be enough? I think I'd rather spend a few extra bucks on the 850 to make sure its enough and also when I upgrade the card down the road.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yeah, 3 units (1 refurbished and 2 brand new ones) and they all exhibited the same exact behaviors with the exception of one. No sooner I press the power button on the case, rig boots up and no sooner I put a tiny load on it ( browsing), the rig would crash. One unit actually gave me like 5 minutes of service before it too failed and the rig crashed. Worse psu ever made.

I would recommend the 850 P6 (sig). Extremely well built and solid. Or the 850 G6 which is supposed to be the better unit between the two; linky for review

I might swing at the G6, the P6 is probably a bit more than what I am looking to spend. What about the G5?

I also found a good deal on an Asus ROG Strix 850W open box on newegg. Not sure if I want to risk that though because who know what cables it will come with or may not come with any cables at all.

For a 3070Ti/290W TBP card, yep. I'd still go 850W though.

G5 is OK too. Double check reviews (techpowerup has good ones).

If a PSU doesn't come with all cables, it's defective. They would have to tell you it doesn't come with everything/note it somewhere.

For a 3070Ti/290W TBP card, yep. I'd still go 850W though.

G5 is OK too. Double check reviews (techpowerup has good ones).

If a PSU doesn't come with all cables, it's defective. They would have to tell you it doesn't come with everything/note it somewhere.
got it, Ill check out the reviews.

Since it is an open box, they generic statement on those on newegg just says they do their best to make sure everything is there but some cables may be missing for open box items. That being a generic statement for all open box items, not sure how that applies to a PSU where you cant use it without cables.

A good quality 850w would be the minimum. If the open box unit doesn't come with cables, that's an extra expense to replace them. If I were you I would just go with a new one.

Last edited:
Sorry didnt flow up earlier, thanks for all the input! Was in a car wreck 2 weeks ago in which totaled out our new van that we had just gotten, so have been busy dealing with insurance and lawyers and figuring out what we are going to drive for the next 6 -12 months while we wait for a replacement to arrive.

Anyways, ended up just now buying a super flower 850W platinum and also went ahead and upgraded to a new case and ordered a Phanteks Eclipse to fit all this stuff. I am still rocking an old Antec 900 case, so its a little small with the size of this new gpu.

Back