• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU high pitch noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eliteoneXP

Does anyone else have problems with their PSU making a high pitch noise all the time? I disconnected all my HDS, cd-roms, case fans, and put my CPU smartfan II on its lowest setting and there it STILL a high pitch noise coming outta the pc. It's kind of hard to pinpoint but the only thing I would think it is would be the PSU. Any ideas guys? It really gives me a headache.

leathersmt

The onkly thing I could think of, is a fan that has a dry bearing. I do not see electrical giving you that kind of sound. It may be the fan in the psu.

larrymoencurly

I had a PSU that whined even when its fan was stopped. The noise was coming from one of the two transformers between the two heatsinks. I've also read that coils near the outputs can also whine. Sometimes this kind of noise is OK, other times it's from a dud capacitor.

OP
eliteoneXP

eliteoneXP

Nah, its definately not a fan problem. It sounds like the noise my old TV used to make when it was on for a long period of time.