• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Keeps Blowing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Seasonic, Corsair, Silverstone, XFX, most Antec units are all quality power supplies to choose from and would serve you well. A quality 550W unit would power your system no worries though I guess an 850W unit would give you ease of mind. The SuperFlower Golden Green series are good, as is the Kingwin Laser Gold and the Kingwin Lazer Platinum series.

Frys Electronics, Microcenter or even a tiger Direct outlet. I have all 3 here in GA with in 20miles of each. :)

Seasonic X series are great, corsair enthusiast or gamer would be good as well. Some Thermal Take PSU are good, so crap and some mid line. I would not try SLI with the one I have in my rig.

Frys Electronics, Microcenter or even a tiger Direct outlet. I have all 3 here in GA with in 20miles of each. :)

Seasonic X series are great, corsair enthusiast or gamer would be good as well. Some Thermal Take PSU are good, so crap and some mid line. I would not try SLI with the one I have in my rig.

I have looked on the websites and found a Micro Center in Overland Park, Kansas, which isn't that far from where i will be, but they only have the Seasonic in 750 or 1000, so i have looked at the other brands and found a corsair HX Series 850 Watt ATX 12 V Modular Power Supply for $221.99 the corsair enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850 Watt ATX Power Supply is $169.99, so from this i assume (hate doing that) that the Professional HX range would be the better one to go for?

Just checked on line and i can actually get it $41 cheaper in the UK, now that don't happen too often :D

So it looks like at the moment i am opting for:-

Corsair Professional HX Series 850 Watt ATX 12 V Modular Power Supply $221.99

Although the Corsair CMPSU-850AX, again i assume this is the better out of the two is also $221.99

Last edited:
I don't know differences on the internals, but the TX line is not modular, where the HX is.

Personally I'd just go with the TX850 out of those. One thing to keep n mind is the TX series is Bronze rated and the HX is Silver rated making the HX's the more efficient of the two.

Why don't makers of junk PSUs at least set the protection to trigger below the limits of the weakest components? It's not as if that would be less honest than what they're doing now.

Why don't makers of junk PSUs at least set the protection to trigger below the limits of the weakest components? It's not as if that would be less honest than what they're doing now.

Take a cheepie apart and you'd think the pcb is made out of cardboard they cut every corner then cut another.

Just returned from the USA, after the one week work trip turned into 4 weeks, i managed to bring back with me a, Corsair TX850M PSU, so only time will tell how it will do, looking at the build quality i would say that it is far superior than my original unit.

I also picked up a Swiftech MCP655-B water pump and a Swiftech MCR320-QPK 3 fan radiator, getting ready for water cooling, already got the GPU water cooling blocks.

Probably saved about £100 on UK prices :)

Yeah, you'll be very happy with that Corsair. They last pretty much forever.

Back