• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU problem? I don't know..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gibbiesmalls

I can't get the computer to post.

Everything seems to turn on. No beeps. Nothing.

Anyway, here's what I don't understand: The only way to power on/off the computer is via the switch on the PSU. No other way. As soon as I press the PSU switch the computer turns on. I get no post, no beeps, nothing. Everything just seems to come on. All fans are on, including the cpu fan. Pressing the reset or power buttons on the case does nothing.

350W PSU Sparkle - 120MM fan version.
Asus mobo -- deluxe version.

I've tried everything I can think of (with the exception of a new PSU).

Thanks in advance for any help

Rocko[DPC]

Sounds like you either connected the power and reset switch incorrectly to the motherboard, or the motherboard is shorting out. Check your connections for those 2 switches on the board. If theyre right, check to make sure the board isnt touching the case anywhere.

OP
G

gibbiesmalls

Nothing changed..

Problem is, nothing has changed. The computer was working fine a few days ago.

I reasembled the whole computer (cpu/heatsank included). Removed all drives, cards. Put everything back together, same problem. As soon as I plug the power cable and switch on the PSU the computer seems to turn on. All fans come on (including vid card fan).

Power and reset are connected to their respective place on the mobo.

I'm assuming my symptoms aren't indicative of a PSU problem?

Rocko[DPC]

Sounds more like a dead board problem if thats the case. I dont see how the PSU would power everything up when you switched the switch on. If the PSU was blown, I doubt it would be powering anything up.

Daemonfly

Could be bad, shorted power switch or reset switch. If the reset switch were shorted constantly, everything would turn on, but the PC would stay in a "reset state". Easily checked by removing reset switch connector from mobo.

I'd also check to make sure no screws, etc.. have gotten under the mobo, shorting it out.

Might also be possible that the power-on/power-good circuits in the PSU are bad. Have another PSU to test with temporarily?

I suppose it could also be a bad mobo as well.