• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU question an HDD failing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aspiregamer

I turned on my PC today to it failing to detect a hard drive. I assumed right away that it was my Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 that I had had issues with before that turned out to be the sata cable. I then suspected that it was the new WD black 750 that I got about a week ago. But both slave drives booted seperately with my C: but not when all three where plugged in. My pc ran fine before with 2 7200RPM sata drives and 2 5400RPM IDE drive but just recently stopped being able to run 3 7200RPM sata drives. I have a Antec Basiq Power 550watt PSU that I purchased on 5/28/08. Its been running Id say 6-7 hours a day and once in a while has been on overnight. Could the issue I am having power issues due to capacitor aging? on the Thermaltake PSU calaculator page it says min psu watt 435, recommened 485, with 25% capacitor aging. If my PSU runs at 85% EF that would be 467watts. So Im thinking this is the issue, Also I have notice my rear fan when booting delays in rotating but lights up when my pc boots.

AMD Phenom x3 740 Heka [stock]
DFI LP 790FX-M2RS AM2+
Corsair XMS2 4GB[1GBx4] DDR2 800
Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 GDDR4 [with Zalman VF1000]
Edimax Wireless-N PCI Card
Creative Audigy2ZS PCI
WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM Sata
WD Black 750GB 7200RPM Sata
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.10 Sata
LG DVD-R/RW Drive
2x Logisys Cold Cathode Lights

I would replace the PSU and see if the problem persists or not. If it continues even with a new PSU, then I would suspect the motherboard.

Back