• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phpguru

Forgive me for my lack of basic PSU fundamentals but..

If my computer only needs 350w and i have a 480w power supply.. will it only use 350w and save energy? Would it be the same as having a 350w instead of a 480w?

I'm 90% sure it saves energy completely to act like a 350w.

phpguru

the hammer

phpguru said:
Forgive me for my lack of basic PSU fundamentals but..

If my computer only needs 350w and i have a 480w power supply.. will it only use 350w and save energy? Would it be the same as having a 350w instead of a 480w?

I'm 90% sure it saves energy completely to act like a 350w.

phpguru

It will just supply 350watts. It isn't gonna "dump" any extra wattage not being used. IMO, higher rated PSU's tend to run a little more efficient because they don't have to dump alot of heat because they are running a small load.

Hammer

OP
phpguru

phpguru

So a high wattage power supply running a low load will create a high amount of heat?

phpguru

dustybyrd

So a high wattage power supply running a low load will create a high amount of heat?

phpguru

no, a high wattage supply is more efficient, thus creating less heat as waste, while supplying the same amout of energy required by the system...

OP
phpguru

phpguru

Awesome responses. This is why I love these forums :)
Just bought a 480w power supply for my new p4 to leave room for OC and expansion. Thanks a lot guys.

phpguru