• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU/Wattage Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silent54

Registered
Current and Future System details:
i5 2500k (OCed 4.7+)
Asus P8P67 Deluxe B3
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866
EVGA 460 GTX x 2 SLI
COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1
1 x optical
2 x Sata II in RAID0
2 x Sata II in RAID1 (future)
1 x IDE HD
Fan controller
Full system water cooling (future)
About 8 fan w/leds (current/future w/ water cooling)

This system is currently up and running minus a few components. I bought a Kingwin Lazer 1000w based on reviews and such but failed to find the right reviews that would have led me away from buying the waste of money. It can't handle over clocking. Everything set to standard or auto and it's ok but after OCing the CPU and GPUs and it constantly drops power. So, it's a paperweight.

It was suggested based on my requirements to go with a 750W PSU. Based on what the PSUs that were suggested, I was looking at a Corsair HX750 PSU because it fits my needs (cabling/modular) and I can pick it up near me without having to order. However, I looked at a couple of PSU calculators (to include one suggested by overclockers) and according to them, they suggest a 850W PSU. Any suggestions on wattage? Will a 750W PSU suffice giving my requirements? Thanks

Last edited:
If you were ambitious, you could run it with a good quality 650W PSU. The 750HX is perfect.

Btw, here, the single most reputable PSU reviewer in the world (IMO, many people here hold the same belief) gave the Lazer an 8.5/10 for performance. You should be able to OC to the MAX on the video cards and CPU and that beast shouldn't even break a sweat. I think you just got a bad one in the bunch. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=168

If you were ambitious, you could run it with a good quality 650W PSU. The 750HX is perfect.

Btw, here, the single most reputable PSU reviewer in the world (IMO, many people here hold the same belief) gave the Lazer an 8.5/10 for performance. You should be able to OC to the MAX on the video cards and CPU and that beast shouldn't even break a sweat. I think you just got a bad one in the bunch. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=168

Yea, I thought that the Kingwin would be more than enough but every time I OC the cpu, I get cut outs. At defaults, It runs fine. Have a tech support request in with Kingwin and Newegg about it. The problem there lies with the time between shipping bad for new. Can't be without my system for school. I'm a full time online student. So, I still need a replacement and will use the Kingwin in my secondary system or sell it.

Last edited:
Have additional question on this subject. If the Kingwin review states that is should be able to support my power requirements, then what else would cause the power lose/drop? I had my CPU OCed up to 4.7Ghz at 1.37volts but wasn't tested because of power loses. As stated, the power lose only occurs when the CPU is overclocked. On default setting, the system runs just fine. I'm on default settings now and can do every thing as before, games, browse, class work, etc....

Well with that overclock you are drawing more power (1.37v versus around 1.1 stock). I may have missed it but what is the wattage on that psu?

Also on a side note, you can get away with much fewer volts for that OC. I am running 4.8ghz with 1.31v on a pro board...

It's a 1000W PSU. Yea, I know my voltages my be high but the problem is I can't do a lot of stress testing because the power cuts out. When I started the initial overclocking on the CPU at lower settings with increased voltage, I would get a Blue screen which I assume is normal. So I would go back and change the voltage a little. I tried to do a little OC to see if there is a starting point for the power lose. I'm setting at 4.2 at 1.24v right now. Didn't get too far into a the stress test before stopping it but went farther than any other one above 4.2Ghz level. I tried 4.3 but the power drop started. My assumption it's a PSU situation but I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the MB.

Well the 1000w psu is more than enough. Are you monitoring temps? Also, what do you mean by power cuts out?

You may be mistaking the thermal shutdown for a power discrepancy.

I have a Kingwin Lazer 1000. It works great. A buddy of mine borrowed it and overclocked in his machine and it ran fine. Not sure what he got up to GHz wise. He only borrowed mine because he wasn't comfortable with the size of his. But it worked.

You may be mistaking the thermal shutdown for a power discrepancy.

I'm going to second this. Both my friends and my machines are liquid cooled. I got my cpu (AMD x6) up to 4.0 and it started getting warm quick. But with the LCing, it stayed under control. Granted yes I had a few blue screens but after some tweaking I got it stable.

What I mean by power cuts out is that the power to the machine shuts off for about 2 seconds or so and then comes back on. I duplicated overclock settings someone else had that used the same MB and CPU. After config, I saved and restarted. The power would come up (2 sec), then shut off (2 sec), back on (2 sec), back off (2 sec), then back on and either would have a OC fail or load to Windows and power shut off and repeat. There was a time maybe last week when I had the CPU overclocked at 4.7Ghz with a voltage of 1.375. I was actually able to start a stress test and the temps when as far as 79c before I stopped the test not wanting to reach 80c. I can't see that it's a thermal issue. The power shutting off even happens when the motherboard and CPU temps are between 27-32c. Right now it's OCed at 4.2Ghz with a voltage of 1.24. Stress tested to about 60c. I raised the OC yesterday to 4.7Ghz/1.37v and with idle temps of about 32c the power would shut off and then come back on. So, I've yet to allow the CPU temp to pass 79c. I would say 95% of time the power would turn off is at idle or minimal CPU usage. I assume my settings are good with the exception of voltage which has to be tuned until stable.

Edit: I pulled out the OC beginners guide I download a month or so ago and went step by step based on a OC at 4.7Ghz/1.375v. Where yesterday, the PSU would shut off and come back on at idle, today I could start a stress test and receive blue screen due to I assume voltage problems. So not sure what's going on now. I did go a little further and increased the voltage to 1.385. Then I ran the stress test. The test ran approximately 1hr & 30ish mins. During that time, only one core reached 78c with an average across all cores of about 73-74c. Then at about 1hr & 30mins the power shut off and then came back on. As you guys stated the power lose could be due to high thermal but the longer the test went the lower the temps went. When the one core hit 78c, the average was around 75-76c. Then further into the test as stated, temp average dropped. So no clue why I would get a power shut off due to thermal. I didn't change any settings after restart, logged into Windows and started editing this thread and then lost power again with a restart to follow. Changed settings at that point. PSU or MB OC settings?

Last edited:
Back