• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PUBG PC Lockup/screen distortion issue. Any advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

So actually this is for my little brother who is less PC savvy. I built the system he uses which is a Xeon E5-1650 6-core (basically same as i7-3930k) overclocked to a pretty safe 4ghz cooled by the EK Fluid Gaming A240 water cooling kit, has a Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming 980ti, and 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 with an EVGA x79 SLI motherboard. He can be playing PUBG for a few minutes, or a few hours, but eventually this happens. What looks like a distorted BSOD but you can still sorta see the game in the bottom if you look closely, but the entire PC is locked up and a hard reboot is necessary to get back up and running. I've had him do clean driver re-installs, check for windows updates, re-install the game, verify the game files, etc. Nothing seems to help at the moment. Not using MSI afterburner at all (just the Gigabyte OC Genie software). No other game does this and he plays RB6: Siege, Overwatch, Titanfall 2, Battlerite, Ghost Recon: Wildlands, and Paladins regularly. I'm not sure how to further advise him, anyone else have gone through anything like this or have any suggestions?

distorted blue screen.jpg

edit: apparently this is now happening on all games my brother plays within 30 minutes, and in less than 15 minutes if gaming + streaming. Hmmmmm

update: I turned his CPU OC off and put everything back to the BIOS optimized defaults, including the ram now running on "auto" at 1333mhz. He hasn't been home to test but i guess we'll see soon.

Last edited:
Looks like the heat is finally doing you in. It could be that there is extra heat dumped into the case therefore causing the GPU to strain. Just a wild guess with little to base that on.

Looks like the heat is finally doing you in. It could be that there is extra heat dumped into the case therefore causing the GPU to strain. Just a wild guess with little to base that on.

Ehhh dont really think its a heat issue, at least it shouldn't. The CPU stays in the high 50s/low 60s under load and the GPU...well...its in an Inwin 301 case and the GPU has to be mounted in the middle PCI-E slot, because for some reason the normal one its supposed to go to doesn't run at x16 in that board. So being that low in an inwin 301 results in this big triple fan card having 2 120mm fans blowing air from outside the case directly onto it and as a result, this GPU sometimes runs as cool as my own 980ti with a corsair h55 and a kraken G10 lol.

However, could this be a heat issue over other aircooled components? The GPU that far low with the DDC pump mounted on the third 120mm fan blocking airflow ends up sort of maybe causing this case not to have the best airflow over things like the VRMs maybe?

download_20170930_182922.jpg

Back