• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pulling my hair out- Windows 7 Home Premium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LufbraDan23

Those of you who've been keeping track will know that i've been without a PC for 3 months now. After a complete overhaul of my system- a new i5 750, new DDR3 RAM, DDR3 mobo and a GTX285. All that remains of my old PC are two HDDs, my Corsair PSU and BLU Ray Drive. After getting the machine up and running (not without it's problems!) i found that i could no longer boot into Windows 7 RC, despite using the same HDD's in the same config. This was more than a little annoying, having spent £500 and not having it working. Regardless, i pushed on and bought a new 320GB HDD and Windows 7 Home Premium (not upgrade). I've disconnected my two old HDDs in order to avoid losing data and to make sure the installation ran smoothly. I therefore booted up with the Windows 7 disc in my BLU Ray and just the one brand new HDD connected. I tried to boot up but i get the message Disk Boot Failure, insert system disk. Well the disk is in there! The drive reads it and loudly but i still get the message.

I'm at my wit's end, it's been 3 months now and i may cry! Any help from you would be great. I've trawled pages and pages of google but there's nothing the same.

You lot always help me through :)

OP
LufbraDan23

LufbraDan23

I have 5 but...they're all 3 hours away at home. I'm at university at the moment. Could perhaps convince a house mate to unhook his for an hour but i don't know if that would solve the problem long term.
It's a good point you make though.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
It sounds as though it may be a SATA mode setting in the bios.
I dont have experience with Win7 in this area but I can tell you that I had to set SATA to compatibility on the latest Linux install I did (otherwise I had the exact same problem you are describing)

Since you have nothing on the new drive, its not going to damage anything to toggle the SATA mode for the install.

Here's hoping it works

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Check your BIOS boot configuration settings. Make sure the DVD is set as the first boot device. Sounds like it's trying to boot off the HDD where there isn't anything to boot off of.

OP
LufbraDan23

LufbraDan23

Check your BIOS boot configuration settings. Make sure the DVD is set as the first boot device. Sounds like it's trying to boot off the HDD where there isn't anything to boot off of.

I've set the cd drive as the 1st 2nd and 3rd boot drives but still no luck buddy

Stratus ss- how would i go about that?

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
What's the model of MB, and how are the HDD and optical connected to the board (via which controller and ports)?

iLoki

It sounds like it could be a floppy drive error. If you don't have one I suppose this could happen. I would check your BIOS and set the Floppy Drive to None instead of A: or B: or whatever its set to by default.

Then again, it's hard to go much further than the above suggestions without a little more info.

OP
LufbraDan23

LufbraDan23

It's the Gigabyte P55-US3L. I have the HDD in SATA 2_0 and the Blu Ray 2_1.

iLoki- i'll try disabling floppy. What other information would you like?

gsrcrxsi

definitely sounds like its trying to boot the HDD. either directly or it moves on to it after failing to boot from the disc. what disc is this? you said win7 HP, but is this a disc you made froom digital river? or is this a legit microsoft packaged disc? upgrade or full retail?

and the reason you couldnt boot into your RC was because you changed all your hardware. all the drivers from your previous setup are now incompatible with your new hardware, which will make it not boot to the OS anymore. when you change that much hardware you almost always have to fresh install. ive tried to retain an OS before after a MB change, but was unsuccessful. your old HDD is probably fine, i doubt you had to get a new one.

OP
LufbraDan23

LufbraDan23

definitely sounds like its trying to boot the HDD. either directly or it moves on to it after failing to boot from the disc. what disc is this? you said win7 HP, but is this a disc you made froom digital river? or is this a legit microsoft packaged disc? upgrade or full retail?

and the reason you couldnt boot into your RC was because you changed all your hardware. all the drivers from your previous setup are now incompatible with your new hardware, which will make it not boot to the OS anymore. when you change that much hardware you almost always have to fresh install. ive tried to retain an OS before after a MB change, but was unsuccessful. your old HDD is probably fine, i doubt you had to get a new one.

Yeah for some reason even though i've set up cd rom as all three priorities it won't boot. This is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit OEM legitimate.

I got my new HDD to avoid running the risk of data being overwritten, either way it wasn't expensive and i'll welcome the space once it's running.

So yeah, the disc is legit. I played everything by the book.

OP
LufbraDan23

LufbraDan23

I assume those two ports are via the ICH10R controller, the controller is enabled in the BIOS; set to SATA mode, and the BIOS recognizes the drives?

Ok, you'll have to pardon my ignorance but as i don't know what a ICH10R controller is can we assume that i haven't done that and walk me through the steps to changing that. The BIOs recognises the HDD but i dont know where to look for the Blu Ray.

vulcanman09

go through the bios and look for peripheral settings
you are looking for a setting that says ( ide/sata/raid )
set it to sata setting
you now should be able to boot off of the optical drive
( it comes setup as ( raid ) from the factory

OP
LufbraDan23

LufbraDan23

go through the bios and look for peripheral settings
you are looking for a setting that says ( ide/sata/raid )
set it to sata setting
you now should be able to boot off of the optical drive
( it comes setup as ( raid ) from the factory

My settings say ide/ahci/raid.
Which is a bit of a curveball?

When i set to ahci it says 'no drives found'

jmdixon85

Thats strange, the BIOS should still be able to detect the drive no matter what mode it is set to. Have you tried using the IDE setting?

Flurp

Should be options under the "Integrated Peripherals" which I believe is under Misc Settings... or something like that... if you got a camera take some pics of how you have your MB setup and then some of the bios settings so people can get better idea of exactly what the problem is...

chawks2

Some BIOS configs have priority + boot device. Have u checked your boot device menu? IE - the bloodrage has 2 spots for configuring hdd. One for priority as u mentioned, but also boot settings. Usually this would be a problem ONLY if u have more than one drive connected (some usb drives fit in this category).

Good Luck. :beer: