• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump Issues, new Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CTimm617

Hello all,

New member here at overclockers. I'm just completing a new build and am a first time custom liquid cooler. I build a Desk PC, so I decided since I was doing all this extra work to build my PC into a desk, I would go the extra mile with a custom water loop.

So what's happening is that when I boot the PC, while it's posting and such, I can visibly see the pump moving water throughout the loop - great!. Once I load into windows the pump just seems to shut off.

I have an EK-Res pwm 140 pump/res combo, using an EK supremacy block on my CPU, and a PE360 Radiator with 6 fans in push/pull config.

Flow control Res > pump > block > Rad > Res.

The pump is powered through a 4 pin Molex(only 2 wires) connection on my Power Supply and a pwm plugged into my Mobo header.

At first I thought maybe the motherboard was not running the pump because temps were low enough, but I running CoreTemp, I'm sitting around 70 C idling, and it will max under light loads.

I guess I'm at a loss as to why it runs during boot, but stops when windows loads. Looking for any help you guys can offer.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm stepping out for lunch, may take a little while to respond to any questions about my build.

Have you adjusted the speed of the header from the BIOS? That is the first place I would look.

Have you adjusted the speed of the header from the BIOS? That is the first place I would look.

This is something I will have to check tonight when I get home. I'm pretty sure I had the fan settings at max though. Before I moved this mobo to the desk pc, the cpu was cooled with dual fans on a Hyper 212 EVO. I can't imagine that I would've turned the fans down in the bios during the initial install.

One more question. I was doing some reading on the pump, and it says that's its not recommended to use the top port of the res as the intake line. I bought a multi port top, and was using 1 as the intake from the radiator, and 1 to fill my loop. The bottom inlet on the pump has a ball valve and I was using it to drain the loop as it's the lowest part of my system.

Should I redo the line coming from the radiator into the pump and move it to the bottom intake? Would this affect it from flowing?

DeskPC.jpg

I think the issue there is the likelihood of introducing air into the system if the return line to the res at the top. The coolant is free falling through open air and mixing with the air. Yes, I would reroute so the the return to the res is below the water line.

I think the issue there is the likelihood of introducing air into the system if the return line to the res at the top. The coolant is free falling through open air and mixing with the air. Yes, I would reroute so the the return to the res is below the water line.

You can't see it in the picture, but there is a clear hard plastic tube that extends from the top, down below the water level the reservoir. So theoretically, air shouldn't be getting added to the loop. However, if you think it's best to re-do the line, that's what I will do.

Thanks!

If that's the case then I should think it would make any difference whether it's on top or not. The instruction you ran across concerning that issue probably only applies when there isn't a tube deployed as you have done.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help guys. After doing some more research I learned that my mobo had a dedicated Water Pump header. Had I opened my eyes when doing the install I probably would've noticed it. After switching this and disabling the cpu fan header my pump kicked off with no issues. I was even able to put a hefty overclock of 4.7ghz on my i7 6700k. I probably could've gone higher, but that's plenty of OC for what I'll be using it for.

Thanks Again!

Back